SE Exhaust - Magnaflow Catback

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

kenson
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

SE Exhaust - Magnaflow Catback

Postby kenson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Like most of you, I have a budget and I'm going for drive-ability and bang for the buck.
So naturally, the next thing is the exhaust.

Local Perth store offerings (reputable): cat-back, mild steel, mandrel bent, no name muffler = $600. Magnaflow muffler can be had for an additional $200. :shock:

Then I found a nice Magnaflow stainless cat-back (16639) but it's around $800 shipped. :|

So the muffler alone from Amazon for that unit is around $130 :)

I then jumped on the Mazdaspeed forums and there are vouchers flying about with 25%-40% discounts. So now the Magnaflow cat-back (16639) can be had for around $580 landed :D
That's a definite price with a 25% discount. I'm trying to push for the 40%. I'll let you guys know how I go. I told the vendor that there may be more interest hoping that would push the price down further 8)

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: SE Exhaust - Magnaflow Catback

Postby NitroDann » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Have an exhaust shop remove the rear muffler and replace it with a press bent 2.5" piece. it will do everything you want and shouldn't cost more than 150 with your choice of exhaust tips.

The performance and sound difference between this and ANYTHING else money can buy on an other wise stock system will be the same so why spend more than 150?

Happy to explain why if need be.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

kenson
Fast Driver

Postby kenson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:40 pm

NitroDann wrote:Have an exhaust shop remove the rear muffler and replace it with a press bent 2.5" piece. it will do everything you want and shouldn't cost more than 150 with your choice of exhaust tips.

The performance and sound difference between this and ANYTHING else money can buy on an other wise stock system will be the same so why spend more than 150?

Happy to explain why if need be.

Dann

Hi Dann,

I came across this in one of your posts but I'm worried about noise. How loud is this?
Alternative is to weld on a free flowing muffler. What do you think? Same "gains" as a 2.5 inch catback?

Thanks for the help as well! Oh and explanation would be nice too for newbies like me.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Absolutely the same gains as long as the muffler is straight through.

An SE Ive worked on has this exhaust mod (the straight pipe) and it sounds good, no drone and volume is sensible.

On an SE the following things in the exhuats system can do with upgrading:
Turbo
Downpipe
Exhaust pipe diameter
Rear muffler

Basically on an SE the gains are in the turbo and downpipe mostly, followed by a complete 3" free flowing exhaust.
if you are choosing to do ONLY the cat back for now, the difference in pipe size is nil and void, with only the rear muffler making a difference, and seeing as how they sound good with no rear muffler, and because it has a rather large straight through centre muffler, and the car is turbocharged, having no rear muffler is actually not that loud, but releases a nice throaty turbo car sound.

Dann

kenson
Fast Driver

Postby kenson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I think you've summed it up well Dann. Also I now know which paths are available.
Looks like this 'fix' is pretty popular in the US as well. They even have a kit called the Ethuza XR which sounds ridiculous.

I'll disconnect the rear muffler this weekend and see what it's like. Just have to make sure things don't get too hot down there.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 pm

This SE also has a mildly melted rear bumper from running no rear pipe for a week or so, So do the disconnect just for a quick drive.

Dann

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:49 am

kenson come to some club motorsport days, there will be a few SEs with different exhaust systems and you'll be able to hear the difference.

I also recommend Peter from mainline exhausts on Newcastle St in Northbridge if you need something custom made.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

kenson
Fast Driver

Postby kenson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Will do Okibi.

I've had a PM asking what I'm talking about.
Link is here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=16639

geofiz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby geofiz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 am

Okibi wrote:kenson come to some club motorsport days, there will be a few SEs with different exhaust systems and you'll be able to hear the difference.

I also recommend Peter from mainline exhausts on Newcastle St in Northbridge if you need something custom made.

I recommend Nick from the Exhaust centre in Midvale. He does really good work as well

NA8 - BP4W IHI VJ35, 3.9 Torsen2, Adaptronic - SOLD
NB8A - mostly stock for now

kenson
Fast Driver

Postby kenson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am

geofiz wrote:
Okibi wrote:kenson come to some club motorsport days, there will be a few SEs with different exhaust systems and you'll be able to hear the difference.

I recommend Nick from the Exhaust centre in Midvale. He does really good work as well

Thanks geofiz. I'll let everyone know how I go

kenson
Fast Driver

Postby kenson » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

OK, couldn't move on the price so the best I can get is ~$590 USD landed in Australia.
(still cheap, other places are selling it for $600 + delivery)

Go to http://www.hottexhaust.com, select your exhaust (for the SE, it is model 16639).
Use the following voucher at checkout to get 26% off: F62MPC38EX

I've been told that shipping time is ~8 business days.

Not sure when it expires.

Good for anyone that's wanting a cat-back stainless. Note, they also make an exhaust for the non-turbo NB too.

My choice: TBA.

and1
Fast Driver

Postby and1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm thinking of getting a new axleback made up that is a little lighter than what is on it atm. Are you interested in my axleback? You can hear when we meet up.

I'm thinking something similar to the Enthuza XR lightweight exhaust.
2005 Velocity Red MX-5 SE
Garage thread
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=44487

kenson
Fast Driver

Postby kenson » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'll give you a call this weekend Andy.

yem11n
Fast Driver

Postby yem11n » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Been following this thread..

Kenson, Good to see you are trying to find out the bang for your buck upgrades for the SE. Can definately learn from the guys that have done mods to their SEs, eg. AND1, Lookiel, MINX, etc... I think between them they have done every mod I could think off.

When i was looking for cat back system, I was very close to getting the Corksport 3 inch system. Ofcourse the downpipe and the CAT shuold also be upgraded to match. I have not heard the system myself but I gathered it will be louder than Magnaflow and other 2.5 systems. (Comparing similar set ups, with cat and rear muffler).

These guys can get it delivered and i was quoted around $800 fitted. They are in NSW so may not work for you.

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/produc ... turbo.html

AND1, can you post up your set up when you are done? Or even if you have it updated in your garage thread when done?

I might end up getting a custom 3 inch SS system made up, from downpipe, with aim to reduce as much weight as I can.

yem11n
Darkness BLACK 130i (2006) Sold

Tiny BLACK SE (2005)
A few mods.

BLACK CX5 Akera 2015
Stock as.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

When I get home I'll post a picture of the SE turnover outlet, I don't think there is any point putting a 3inch dump pipe on it.

Dann

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”