NA6 Turbo Prep

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Staaahp
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

NA6 Turbo Prep

Postby Staaahp » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:42 am

Hey guys,

Just purchased myself a JDM imported NA6 with an NB6 engine. Bought it primarily to learn more about automotives in general.

Strongly considering going down the turbo route in maybe a years time and wanted to get some advice. Goal is to be able to push out roughly 140-150atw kw.

Question I have for you guys:
- Is the NB6 engine similar to that of the NA6 (can't seem to find a lot of info about it on the net)
- What mods can I potentially start with to prepare for it? (eg HD clutch/suspension/CAI/etc)
- Any 2nd hand used parts I could be looking for? (maybe experimenting abit with an ecu or just looking for just cheap parts here and there like an intercooler/turbo/fuel injectors and such)
- Anyone know if the AVO kits from mania are worth it and the power output to be expected? Better option to look for completed kits in general?

Sorry if stupid questions, fairly new to all this :D

bartmanftw
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: NA6 Turbo Prep

Postby bartmanftw » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:05 am

Pretty sure the NB6 motor is just a standard b6 but with solid lifters instead of HLAs and NB cam and crank sensors.

If you're wanting to turbo for cheap look into megasquirt ECUs and second hand Nissan t25/t28 turbos and get in contact with Nitrodann to fabricate a turbo manifold, dump pipe, intercooler pipes and exhaust.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:38 pm

There were two versions of the NB6 motor - one produced 125bhp, while the other produced 110bhp. Given you're going to modify it, it would be useful to identify which one you've got.

Staaahp
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Staaahp » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:57 pm

93_Clubman wrote:There were two versions of the NB6 motor - one produced 125bhp, while the other produced 110bhp. Given you're going to modify it, it would be useful to identify which one you've got.

I actually didn't know they came in two variants. Just checked my donor papers and it says its:
B6-ZE.G (125PS @ 6500)

So I'm assuming its the 125bhp one.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Yeah, the 125bhp motor was for the JDM, while the other was for the European market. If the NB6 motor went into your NA6 before it came out here, then very high probability it's the JDM motor. But if the NB6 motor went into it since it's come here, then there was always a chance the Euro motor could have been used, as some of the Euro spec motors made it here.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”