Tony's NC

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Bushberger69
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Tony's NC

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 am

So here goes...

Bought my first MX5 to have a play on the track and possibly try some entry level racing. Have done heaps of trackdays on bikes, but never in a car, and almost all research pointed me towards the Mazda as the best choice. So the Ranger has a little brother:

IMG_4238 copy.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4262 copy.JPG

I was originally looking for a soft top to suit a rollbar, but in the end, I couldn't pass this car up. If that decision eventually becomes a showstopper, then a car trailer and another cheap NC might appear.

Anyway, did an oil/filter change, new air filter, unplugged the annoying key chime, trimmed up the front number plate bracket and ordered a stubby antenna.

Knowing what I wanted to use the car for, I decided to skip playing with lowered coils and shocks and ordered the Ohlins coilovers. These things are like jewellery:
IMG_4274 copy.JPG

Rear damper and front spring
IMG_4275 copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Re: Tony's NC

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 am

Spent a day playing in the garage...awesome fun and stoked with the result.

Before:
IMG_4282 copy.JPG

After:
IMG_4290 copy.JPG

IMG_4292 copy.JPG

Did my local loop to settle the suspension. Jamberoo Rd, Macquarie Pass, Robertson, Fitzroy Dam, Kangeroo Valley, Cambewarra Mtn, Nth Nowra, Jamberoo Rd, Swamp Rd, home. Stoked with the change.

Got a wheel alignment and modified the factory strut tower brace to give access to the adjusters:

IMG_4303 copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 am

After much research and a desire to get something different than Enkei RPF1's, I ordered some 17x8 Enkei RPF1's. But mine will be black... 8) They are on the ship as I type, hopefully arriving at the end of the month.

RPF1.jpg

Tyres... my head is full. I don't want to think about it anymore until the wheels arrive... but I'm thinking Hankook RS3 Z222's if there are any left in the country. Maybe the new RS4's will arrive in time.

In the meantime, I've engaged Deckspeed to sort the exhaust and tuning. Once the bits arrive, I'll be booking in to get the car transformed.

Also been playing with a bluetooth OBD2 device called a Kiwi 3. Awesome bit of gear that plugs into the OBD port and talks to your phone.... new to me but you guys have probably used them for years. Plenty of learning and playing and trying out different apps... unless anyone can just point me towards the best app for trackdays and extra dashboard gauges. Currently playing with Dash Command, but also keen on Harry's Laptimer.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:47 am

Welcome! The car is looking great and you've made some excellent mods so far. With a bit of exhaust and tuning I think you'll be very happy, and you'll have a great car for the street and track.

I know what you mean with the RPF1s, they're hard to go past for the value and quality they deliver. Wheels have been on my mind a lot lately, it's looking like these or 6ULs for me (in 15x8, or maybe 15x9).

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:58 am

Very nice 8) 8) 8)
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

forcedfive
Fast Driver
Vehicle: 10AE - Turbo

Postby forcedfive » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 am

Nice Tony. If you are not busy this Sunday come for a drive to Wakefield Park for a look. MX5 Club NSW is holding their track day and the MX5 Cup has four races on the day also. About 80 MX5's going around.
10AE
WP 1:04.7 SMSP GP 1:43.0 South 1:00.8 North 1:09.8

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am

forcedfive wrote:Nice Tony. If you are not busy this Sunday come for a drive to Wakefield Park for a look. MX5 Club NSW is holding their track day and the MX5 Cup has four races on the day also. About 80 MX5's going around.

Yep, definitely heading down for a look. Was too late to get a spot, but looking forward to checking out the racing and picking up some driving and setup tips.

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 pm

online and RPF1's are the best :D I may be a bit biased though.

you should have gone for 9" wide :D
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Regie wrote:online and RPF1's are the best :D I may be a bit biased though.

you should have gone for 9" wide :D

G'day Regie, yours and Dan's build threads are what got me so keen on the NC. I didn't want to push my luck with clearance with 9's... hopefully I won't regret that decision.

Are you heading to Wakefield on Sunday?

Daffy
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Daffy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:43 am

Looks like you got a great plan in place, And you wont go wrong working off Regie's- (one of the best NC's I've had the pleasure of seeing up close and personal :mrgreen: ). If you are ordering the rims from overseas, dont do my mistake and have all 4 delivered in the same shipment- get each as an individual delivery so you dont get stung with the import tax (that was $500 better spent elsewhere :? ) :BROADY:
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 am

Daffy wrote:Looks like you got a great plan in place, And you wont go wrong working off Regie's- (one of the best NC's I've had the pleasure of seeing up close and personal :mrgreen: ). If you are ordering the rims from overseas, dont do my mistake and have all 4 delivered in the same shipment- get each as an individual delivery so you dont get stung with the import tax (that was $500 better spent elsewhere :? ) :BROADY:

Thanks Daffy. The rims are coming via the Aussie importer at $1400 for the set (17x8) which I thought was reasonable considering I'd have a local business to contend with and my local tyre shop quoted me $1840 for the exact same set of rims (same importer). Probably could have saved a bit more.... was just too easy.

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Wheels arrived. Picked up some 225/45 Hankook RS3 Z222's. Very happy with the result, but it looks like the rears are going to scrub the inner lip of the guard once I get into it. I could raise the rear a tad, but instead, I'm going to have a go at rolling the lip up. Looking forward to getting on the track.

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4355.JPG

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I would keep the standard alloy wheels with an eye to the future. NCs are popular with older guys and not everyone wants black wheels- albeit its fashionable now.

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:I would keep the standard alloy wheels with an eye to the future. NCs are popular with older guys and not everyone wants black wheels- albeit its fashionable now.

Definitely keeping the standard wheels, but not because I'm worried about future resale.... they'll be handy to hold some decent road tyres if I end up putting semis on the RPF1's....might even paint them black. :D I've been into black wheels since 1995 when I bought my first new car - not worried about trends.

Rolled the rear guards today. Will go for a drive tomorrow to check for scrubbing.
IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 pm

You will find lines on the track in a car are much different to a bike. However the skill of looking beyond the corner and always having an out from riding bikes translates very well to the car on the track!

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”