Clunky Shifting Problem

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Relapse
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Clunky Shifting Problem

Postby Relapse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:20 am

Hey guys,
Shifting in my 99NB is starting to get a bit clunky, especially to 2nd gear - literally sounds and feels like metal smacking each other, unless i do it super slow.

Had the same issue when i first got the car - put some redline gearbox oil in it, which fixed it up pretty well (not as good as anew car obviously, but pretty smooth). Its been a year since then. Is the solution to just change the oil again? is it possible its leaking out or something?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Clunky Shifting Problem

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:32 am

GB main body: Is it happening when car is cold, hot or both? Which Redline did you use & how much did you use (should be 2 litres or so)? Initially, it's worth changing the oil again & may be try something different as Redline works for some, but not all. Nulon GB oil was popular, particularly with the added Nulon G70 treatment. But there are plenty of others that work, just check the GB oil threads on here or the big forum.
GB turret: 99 NB so it could be 5 or 6 speed. If 5 speed, did you replace the GB turret oil when you changed to Redline a year ago? Also, which Redline did you use? Sometimes replacing the white nylon cup/bush at the end of the shifter inside the turret helps as it gets worn or damaged. Good time to also replace the inner & outer GB turret rubber boots if they're torn/perished. There can also be wear to the white nylon bushes/sliders on the side of the shifter, so check these.

wasp47
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby wasp47 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi My two bobs worth
Miataroadster, see web site, make a Delrin shifter tip bush. These greatly improve the gear selection. I have had 3 MX5's both 5 and 6 speed and cant recommend these tips highly enough and they are as cheap as chips, approx. $30 au delivered. It slides into the selectors where the standard fits on the shifter ball. When I got my first one I thought they had sent the wrong part, dead easy to fit.
Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted with minimum pedal free play, experience tells me it is far easier to remove the seat,4 bolts, to get under the dash at the adjuster.
Cheers
Steven

Relapse
Driver

Postby Relapse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:44 pm

93_Clubman wrote:GB main body: Is it happening when car is cold, hot or both? Which Redline did you use & how much did you use (should be 2 litres or so)? Initially, it's worth changing the oil again & may be try something different as Redline works for some, but not all. Nulon GB oil was popular, particularly with the added Nulon G70 treatment. But there are plenty of others that work, just check the GB oil threads on here or the big forum.
GB turret: 99 NB so it could be 5 or 6 speed. If 5 speed, did you replace the GB turret oil when you changed to Redline a year ago? Also, which Redline did you use? Sometimes replacing the white nylon cup/bush at the end of the shifter inside the turret helps as it gets worn or damaged. Good time to also replace the inner & outer GB turret rubber boots if they're torn/perished. There can also be wear to the white nylon bushes/sliders on the side of the shifter, so check these.

Its happening more so when its cold, but still apartment when hot.
Its a 5 speed and I replaced tge turret oil as well.
Can't remember which redline it was, but the guys at mx5mainia recommended it and sold it to me - so I assume it was decent.
I'm not much of a car guy so I dont really no a lot of the terms you listed to replace. Hopefully I'll be able to find a tutorial on it

Relapse
Driver

Postby Relapse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:26 pm

wasp47 wrote:Hi My two bobs worth
Miataroadster, see web site, make a Delrin shifter tip bush. These greatly improve the gear selection. I have had 3 MX5's both 5 and 6 speed and cant recommend these tips highly enough and they are as cheap as chips, approx. $30 au delivered. It slides into the selectors where the standard fits on the shifter ball. When I got my first one I thought they had sent the wrong part, dead easy to fit.
Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted with minimum pedal free play, experience tells me it is far easier to remove the seat,4 bolts, to get under the dash at the adjuster.
Cheers
Steven

Thanks for your reply.
Is this the item you were talking about?
http://www.miataroadster.com/mazda/mazd ... 12511.aspx

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:39 am

As Wasp says worth checking that someone hasn't played around with clutch pedal setup/adjustment. Also there's a chance that one or both of the clutch bearing (thrust &/or pilot/spigot bearings) are starting to become unserviceable . However, first check clutch slave cylinder push rod operation to see if the throw is within specification. Also, worth replacing & bleeding the clutch fluid. Of course, always still the option to change to another GB oil.

wasp47
Fast Driver

Postby wasp47 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi,No Pt No MR-SS-13

wasp47
Fast Driver

Postby wasp47 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 pm

If its a 5 speed Pt No MR-SS -11