Cookie's NA6

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Cookie's NA6

Postby speed » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:50 pm

But you could fit another mx5 in there easy then
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:33 pm

I can't afford one. How do I afford 2!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Tue May 31, 2016 7:21 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Finally received the head I paid for months ago. Looks in good condition! Plan is to remove all the good bits and put them in my head. This head has been extensively ported and polished. Not what I want. So if you're interested. It's been used for 10k since rebuild. Made 340kw...

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:57 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

Today's progress, installed my seat properly and harness mounts. Had to massage the tunnel to let it slide back and sit lower than previously.

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:13 am

Good morning faithful followers.

Thought it was time for a little update.

Upgraded from 725 to 1000cc injectors. Thought they would give me more headroom down the track on e85.

My gauge install!! Long but fun little project. Got through surrounds professionally painted which was a good decision. Not one scratch on them while mucking around installing them all! Provision for a 4th one if I want to move the 4th one there out of an eyeball vent. Time will tell if it's too far away to easily keep an eye on.

Also received my first piece of the nitrodann puzzle from my mate who went and picked it up for me on his way through which was nice!!

That's all for now.

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:47 am

Small update. Here's an installed pic of rear exhaust section. Nice welds bit the fitment is what really counts. Nice job to dann on that front. It's interesting to see the first work he did progressing to this design. This is probably more difficult to fab up but the result is clearance and a smoother flow.

Next I picked up some safety gear off gumtree cheap. Suit and hans device new for $250. Need a few more bits and pieces but I can't afford new pricing! Keeping an eye out for an as new helmet.

Back to cars...
Got the head to the machine shop. They said it was too soft and damaged. I had changed my mind to swap it over. But that was not to be.

So I stripped it and bagged it up. Cams oiled and standing vertical awaiting another day. I'll get it running first on stock cams to iron out a few issues then install.

Turned out they're toda 272 9mm lift cams. (Not kelford) with toda solid lifter inserts and springs to suit.

Also got a new battery off gumtree again for cheap. Sitting on charge (off the concrete floor- quickest way to kill a battery) waiting patiently.

Relocated washer bottle.

Painted the boss frog arms black and fitted. Notice rerouted cabling.

This bay has had a hard life. Washer bottle was screwed to the wheel well and is now rusty. Not sure what the best fix is short of removing the motor and a full on respray. This ain't a show car!

I also removed the dash as the ac core was extremely dirty from inspection once the blower was removed to do wiring. Found a terribly installed alarm and masses of other wiring. Sorting that out took 2x as long as the removal of the dash. No cracks.! Undecided whether an nb swap is in order...

Bad diy electrical...

I do ac stuff for a job so it was no surprise how much of a pain this was.

Current state!

Big long to-do list but I'm working towards finishing up most of the wiring by next weekend when I'm hoping I'll get a call from dann saying the fab work is done!!

luzinit
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby luzinit » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Nice work. Always admire what guys like yourself can achieve in your spare time. I struggle to do the most basic of mods. Exhaust from Dann looks great.

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I did the washer bottle and wiring in an arvo/evening. Removed bar and front fenders having never done it before in 2 hours with regular beer/food breaks. Painted the bracing while doing other wiring.

I did the wiring in 1 evening. I knew what I needed for the turbo stuff (just 2 wires for the boost controller) and rerouted all the rest through. I have yet to extend the headlight plug. If I didn't have the dramas with the alarm being literally wrapped up in the dash reinforcing it would've been alot quicker!

I get home most days at 4pm or earlier. Save an hour for dinner/prep/clean and work until 10pm, a heck of a lot can be achieved. I'm the world's slowest to do anything, but give me enough motivation and I can achieve something I guess. In hindsight the previous turbo kit took about 5 hours total to install. Tapping the sump was about an hour of that. 1 hour to mount ic and piping. 1 hour to stuff around with an exhaust. 5 minutes for ecu plug in. 15 mins for injector swap. It's easy when all the hard work has been done for you. I expect the turbo install will take an evening to do. Simple bolt on affair hopefully. Wiring the sensors and getting vac lines tidy will take a few more hours though.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Wish I coulda swapped crash pads before u modded yours.

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Clean ac core!

Pulled the air flap diverter open and refoamed all the panels. This is what makes the car seem dusty when using the fan I suspect.

Quite empty!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:20 am

Nice work, Cookie. I don't think I've looked through your thread before, but it's a good read. I really like the end result of the RevLimeter gauge cups. I'll be following along a bit more from now on :beer:

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks man. Hopefully it'll be a bit more exciting in the future for everyone.
I'm so happy with the gauges.

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:52 pm

After 18 months of being stuffed around by Dann, I got a full refund upon visiting in person today. He was clearly never interested in completing what I paid for originally, so basically I've wasted 2 years for nothing. Big thanks mate!

Anyone reading this, I strongly urge you to look elsewhere for a fabricator. His attitude, excuses and constantly shifting timelines has been a royal pain in the arse. He does not deserve the forum sponsorship in my honest opinion after my experience. I have waited to reach a resolution with him before making any public comment and this is it.

Sure he can weld, but there's more than that required to run a business. Good luck to all those who engage in his services from this point on. I certainly will happily explain the situation if you're interested privately.

On a happier note, I've sourced a passenger pci seat rail and I look forward to moving forward without Dan in my life.

Zabinskii
Fast Driver

Postby Zabinskii » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:27 am

sorry to hear about the dealings with dann,
he told me in a previous conversation he had with me that he had completed the work for you,
as well as throwing minor threats around to damage my car after me telling other people that he is not very good at coming up with what he promises or organised,
its a shame this has been delayed for 18 months as last time i saw this car it was still running,
keen to see progress now that you have an illegitimate " business man" out of your way.
plus im sure you would be happier with work done by someone who is a certified mechanic and boiler maker. with trade qualifications and the connections and know how to make your car suit your needs much better than a generic kit.

good luck, looking forward to seeing updates.

cookie
Fast Driver

Postby cookie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:16 am

Bit of an update for those wondering where I've gone. After the saga of nitrodann I'd lost all love and interest for this car. I've been quite unwell and have since quit my job in a bid to get better. I've got a lot of things done but still not much improvement...

As for the car I got a gtx2867 and the 2871rs is now available for sale. Should help just a little to push the boost up with decent spool times.

Got an external gate. I've decided this is the best way to get street cred... no really.

Started on updating the car to nb8b brake spec with a new master/booster and abs system. I will add a 1" master cylinder while in the process. Once it's all installed I can then reinstall the dash!

I'll track down a front set to match eventually but scored these (again, think of the street cred!). Absolute overkill but we shall see.

Once I'm happy with the wiring and it's all up to specs, I'll take it to the fabricator and make something worth looking at. Still plenty of pieces to buy...

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”