Stu's NA6/SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Stu's NA6/SE

Postby StuwieP » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Can't believe it's been a month since my last update and everything came out. It's been a frantic few weekends putting everything back in, and finding out what things I thought should fit, didn't...

The headgasket we fitted is an earlier model gasket with more even coolant flow front to back to suit the re-route. It's quite dramatic to see how much flow Mazda stifled around cylinders 1 and 2 on the late model NB engines to force coolant to the back of the block/head.

re-route installed, ready to go

Most of the way there

Wiring went from this:
I've spent months and I'm back to where I started...

to this:
out of sight, out of mind

to this:
If I close my eyes and try, I can imagine this being a working car again

All the electrics work, lights, etc (hoorah!), and I can communicate with the ECU.
However I've run into an issue with the IQ3. I'm hopeful Magpie might be able to drop in and share some wisdom:
At first, I couldn't get it to talk to the PC through the serial>USB connection. Sorted out the driver and got it working or at least identifying an active COM port.
Now I can intermittently connect through the COM port to the dash and I've been able to reconfigure the display pages using the on-board sensors only. I can't get it to download the VNET sensors (including all the ECU sensors/inputs). It times out.
Occasionally I can't connect at all, sometimes it connects and starts working and makes it to 3 or 4 of the full suite before the connection fails due to timeout.
I know it was all working before - the same cable was used by greenmachine in his old race car so I'm assuming its something in the setup of the drivers/com ports on my end. I will keep messing around with it after work in the evenings but unfortunately the car is beyond wifi so it's a long process of test, fail, clamber out of car with laptop, run back into wifi range and search, test... repeat :roll: .
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am

Stu, the IQ3 is very particular about voltage. Make sure you are feeding it as close to 12+v as you can, if your battery is down you will find the inputs dropping off.

I can't remember the details, there is an old old post of mine on the Racepak IQ3 forum that describes my symptoms, I'll see if I can find it. I'll PM you my phone number, give me a ring and we can see what I can dredge up from my memory banks.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

I think this might be the problem. I can get a partial read but it collapses along the way. So the COM port is working.

I'm currently getting 11.7 V max at the iq3. And I can't turn the engine on to get the alternator involved because, well, there's no intake, exhaust, fuel or engine oil.

More than likely sitting on blocks for the last few months, even disconnected, has not been good for the battery...
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 pm

I notice you're in Victoria. You've already got a blue Vic mod sticker - what was that for?
Thus you've obviously thought about Engineering. Installing an aftermarket computer will result in an Emissions test (VIPAC and $). If you used the stock computer and stock intake an Engineer will just sign off on that. Unless you can slip the digital dash past (as it's a big giveaway to a difft conputer)?

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Scrap that... it's not the battery.

I wonder that it might be the serial cable getting halfway there and flaking out? From my reading it looks like windows 10 is causing all kinds of havoc for serial adaptors generally, not just the iq3.

For those who have/do use the IQ3, what OS are you operating when programming the dash?
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Bruce - Seats and roll bar were complied a few years ago. Sadly the VASS engineer who did that for me has since hung up his boots. Shame - he was VERY local (basically around the corner) and great to deal with.

Dann offers emissions testing as a part of his build, plus the brake testing an engineer will want to see, so that's the way I'm going. Not worth fudging it to get pulled up later. Any competent engineer would see straight through that anyway - "you're pulling these sensor details and running a turbo through the standard ECU, and making HOW much power again?"
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 pm

StuwieP wrote:Scrap that... it's not the battery.

I wonder that it might be the serial cable getting halfway there and flaking out? From my reading it looks like windows 10 is causing all kinds of havoc for serial adaptors generally, not just the iq3.

For those who have/do use the IQ3, what OS are you operating when programming the dash?

Turns out this was it. The old chipset mustn't have played nice with Windows 10. New cable also let me set a timeout delay (which I promptly did) so not sure if it was better compatibility across the board, or the ability to force it not to fail after momentary failure, but either way, one happy camper.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 pm

If needed I've got an Engineer in Hawthorn.
Emissions test is done at VIPAC in South Melbourne (I believe it's the only place in Melb/Victoria which does motor vehicles). You just ring, book, turn up and pay (and hopefully pass).

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Glad to see that you have got that working!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Might take you up on the engineer Bruce. The guy I'd been talking to and liked the sound of (came recommended) has just dropped off the face of the earth. Not sure if he's unwell, on leave, just nothing.

Pretty sure Dann does / takes it for the emissions testing - it's all under NCOP anyway.

Ed, I'm stoked - simple software clash in the end. Confident I can update firmware and things now without risking the transfer cutting out and bricking the whole lot.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Short but important update:

Drove 1,200km to Newcastle and handed the keys to a bloke with another few MX5s parked out front.

Then drove home.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 am

ohhhh yea
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Wooo hoo!
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Okibi wrote:Wooo hoo!

StanTheMan wrote:ohhhh yea

It may be an elongated wooo and ohhh until things are done. I kinda surprised Dann with the "delivery" :oops:

I'd flagged the weekend as suitable for the 2,500k round trip but the details weren't quite nailed down.

They are now, but it may be a little while 'til he actually gets to me. 3 MX5s in line already...
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am

Sent a PM, just read the thread. Yes the IQ3 is a bit picky on the chipset used in the IQ3 Cable, must have a FDTI chip in it.

The Racepak forum has moved by the way https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?44801-V300-windows-10&p=206234#post206234

Also what version is the dash? Is it Haltech branded or Racepak? Happy to help out with the software if you need it.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”