Venturing down the slippery slope - SKYHI Motorsports SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Venturing down the slippery slope - SKYHI Motorsports SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:30 pm

SKYHI wrote:Looks like we've managed to post the fastest time in class, and in doing so, take the A2 Street Class win for the first round of the Lakeside Time Attack Series.

Well done Paul!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

A little bit of prep work this week, for the Time Attack event at the JapNats tomorrow at Queensland Raceway. Over 60 cars entered, including Josh Coote's insane 86 and Rob Nguyen in Mighty Mouse. Not sure how many in my class as yet, but there'll be some stiff competition for sure.

My prep consisted of an engine oil and filter change, and rotating the tyres :) I finally got around to getting the cables to connect my MS3Pro PnP and the laptop, so I was able to get Dann to do a quick remote session and fine tune the idling issue I'd been having. Having taken it for a long drive as yet, but all seems to be sorted now. Thanks Dann.

Getting the cables also means that I can now hook up my Samsung S9, and run Shadow Dash MS in the car whilst on track. At least I can monitor a few engine vitals and do some logging to check on peak temps etc now. Not sure how the small display will work, but it'll be mounted in front of my oem gauges, so we'll see. Eventually the plan is to get a Raspeberry Pi and have it more permanently mounted.

I also finally got around to getting a Garmin Glo 2 and have been working on getting a RaceChrono display setup on my old Samsung S6. This will give me a bit of basic data to work with at least.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Hey SKIHI, I was going to use an old Samsung phone to run RaceChrono however I was put off with buying a data sim, they all have expiry dates. I'd imagine you wouldn't use much data if the RaceChrono is the only thing your using the phone for.
Can I ask what you did, regarding a data sim for the phone

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:05 pm

I haven't actually sussed this out yet. I don't have a sim in the card at the moment, so it'll just be a lap timer tomorrow. Depending on how both apps go, I might switch the Shadow Dash MS to a tablet or just get the Raspberry Pi to run it, and then run Racechrono on the S9 with the sim in that card.

I'm all very new to this stuff :)

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Can't you get data only sim cards that share your phone's data plan?

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:04 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Can't you get data only sim cards that share your phone's data plan?

Dunno. I'm with Optus, so worth asking them I suppose.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:06 pm

You could just put your existing simcard into the racecar phone.
Or you could tether/WiFi hotspot the racecar phone with your regular phone. You'd have to keep them both in the same vicinity.
Just watchout for calls/messages.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm

So as far as I can work out, I don't necessarily need a sim card. I had the phone connected to wi-fi at home and just downloaded the tracks before I headed out Saturday. Then I was able to load the track when I was there, and the data is just stored in the phone's memory. I haven't had a chance to study things in detail, but from a quick glance it all seems to be there.

I didn't really know what I was doing, and stuffed a few sessions up. In the end I really only got three sessions of lap times and data from the six that I did. All a learning experience though, and I think I have it sussed for the next time out.

Being my first time at this track with the car, I was trying a few different braking markers, lines, and getting up to speed in general, hence the variances in lap times. I will post in the data logging thread for some help in deciphering of of it :)

I didn't even get the mobile mounted for the Shadow Dash MS app :)

MrTurkey
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby MrTurkey » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:05 pm

SKYHI wrote:So as far as I can work out, I don't necessarily need a sim card. I had the phone connected to wi-fi at home and just downloaded the tracks before I headed out Saturday. Then I was able to load the track when I was there, and the data is just stored in the phone's memory. I haven't had a chance to study things in detail, but from a quick glance it all seems to be there.

I didn't really know what I was doing, and stuffed a few sessions up. In the end I really only got three sessions of lap times and data from the six that I did. All a learning experience though, and I think I have it sussed for the next time out.

Being my first time at this track with the car, I was trying a few different braking markers, lines, and getting up to speed in general, hence the variances in lap times. I will post in the data logging thread for some help in deciphering of of it :)

I didn't even get the mobile mounted for the Shadow Dash MS app :)

I like this a lot, maybe we can make a thread for each track in the Motorsport area where we share our best lap maps. Show the full track and document the lap time etc...

I have a 2nd phone for this too, I found I can hotspot to my main phone to get going at the track. I found it just as easy more recently to run my main phone though in the mount I have. (This might change)

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Yup, just hotspot it if you need data on the go (you can pop a $2 Telstra sim into your racecar phone to make it work).
But it does make sense; GPS doesn't need data, the GPS chip just needs to see the satellite. As you did, you can download the maps beforehand at home. The actual phone can calculate all the times, etc, internally.
It's all pretty nifty!

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:12 pm

So all in all, we were pretty happy with how the Jap Nats event went for us. There were apparently 60 cars entered, but only about 50 cars ended up running on the day. 10 classes in total, but unfortunately for us, I was the only one who ended up in the Forced Induction Street class, who would have thought :roll: Most of the cars were too modified for Street Class and ended up in Forced Induction Track Tuned. Ironically, had I entered that class, my times would have still been good enough to take 3rd in that class, even on the AD08R street tyres.

The car ran well, but my driving wasn't as good as it could have been. I struggled a bit on the Clubman circuit in the morning, and played around with the coilovers to try and eliminate some understeer I was experiencing on turn in. I made an improvement, but I may play around with tyre pressures and ride heights a bit more, as it's been something that's plagued me for a while now. Thankfully the Sprint Circuit seemed to better suit the car balance and it felt pretty good in the afternoon session despite the temperature. I still need to work on being a bit smoother with my steering inputs, and looking further around the corners, but driver improvement never ends :)

For our first time at the track in this car, we were pretty happy with our PBs of 63.17 on the Clubman Circuit and 59.90 on the Sprint Circuit. This is our fastest lap on the Sprint Circuit, with some basic data overlay. I'm just using the free version of Race Render for now whilst I experiment with the GoPro video and RaceChrono data.

Thanks to Ntiro Dann, MCA Suspension and Brakes Direct for their help with the car to date.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I chickened out on doing my own 100K service, so I booked it into Automotive Plus to have it done a couple of weeks ago. Whilst it was there, I also took the opportunity to throw in a new fuel filter, as I had no idea when the last one was done. I also had a metal on metal squeak on startup, which I suspected was a loose exhaust manifold stud, or dump pipe bolt, so I asked them to check that out. Turns out I'd lost an exhaust manifold stud altogether, so they replaced that, and tightened everything up on the hot side. Very happy with all their other work as well.

Once I had the car home, I also changed out the diff oil, so I'm hoping that will be all the major servicing done for a while. I still have a long list of mods I'd like to do, but all this preventative servicing and maintenance is eating up my budget :)

Round 3 of the Lakeside Time Attack Series is on this Saturday, so heading out to give that a crack. Unfortunately we missed round 2, so that means we need to win at least two of the last three rounds, and finish 2nd in the other one if we're to win our class championship again.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:34 pm

A whole stud out of the exhaust side? Heat + vibration, I guess.

The cool weather should help you out down on the track, good luck!

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Yep, the heat and vibration from being pushed on the track is starting to take it's toll unfortunately. I knew it would be an issue at some point, and was hoping I'd be able to keep on top of it until i got around to fitting a new turbo and manifold with some incolnel studs. With everything tightened up again, and the vents now in the bonnet, it'll be interesting to see how long it holds together before something else loosens. The joys of tracking turbo MX5s :D

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 pm

How do you pronounce incolnel? :lol:
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”