Tony's NC

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Bushberger69
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Tony's NC

Postby Bushberger69 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Magpie wrote:You will find lines on the track in a car are much different to a bike. However the skill of looking beyond the corner and always having an out from riding bikes translates very well to the car on the track!

Cheers Magpie. My daughter and I are booked in for the training day at Marulan in October. I'm expecting it to be very different to the bikes, and it'll be my daughter's first time driving a car hard. We're both super keen and can't wait.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:50 am

A stab in the dark but I say that you will struggle with the later apexes in the car :)

My son enjoyed his first track training day, allows then test limits in a controlled environment.

This explains it rather well.

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 am

Magpie wrote:A stab in the dark but I say that you will struggle with the later apexes in the car :)

My son enjoyed his first track training day, allows then test limits in a controlled environment.

This explains it rather well.

Cheers Magpie, good video. Turn 1 was awesome on the bikes... but will obviously need a reboot to get the car through quickly.

P.S. I used to buy ex race tyres off Clarkey 30 years ago when he worked at Southern Suzuki in Dapto - he hasn't changed.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:17 am

My early bike track days were on the likes of KR250's and RZ500's :)

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Here is another great bike/car video

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I put in a set of Whiteline sway bars this week and I’m loving the firm flat behaviour through corners now. Very happy.

Nuddy
Fast Driver

Postby Nuddy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Bushberger69 wrote:
Magpie wrote:You will find lines on the track in a car are much different to a bike. However the skill of looking beyond the corner and always having an out from riding bikes translates very well to the car on the track!

Cheers Magpie. My daughter and I are booked in for the training day at Marulan in October. I'm expecting it to be very different to the bikes, and it'll be my daughter's first time driving a car hard. We're both super keen and can't wait.

I'll be there helping with the training. I haven't dríven on Marulan yet.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

emilmh
Driver
Vehicle: NC - LE

Postby emilmh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi Tony,
I have some wheels on the way 17x8 +43 almost identically spec to you, and will be installing ohlins in a few months (same as you).
One reason I bought those spec wheels is that I read numerous reports that they didn’t require guard rolling :frown: especially with only a 225 tyre.
I am doing preliminary research into tyre sizes and calculated that 225/40r17 (-0.8% difference in diameter) or 235/40r17 (+0.4% difference in diameter) were the sizes closest to factory overall diameter. How do you find the 45 profile (+2.9%) on the 225’s? Do you feel much loss in acceleration?
Thanks

Bushberger69
Learner Driver

Postby Bushberger69 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 pm

emilmh wrote:Hi Tony,
I have some wheels on the way 17x8 +43 almost identically spec to you, and will be installing ohlins in a few months (same as you).
One reason I bought those spec wheels is that I read numerous reports that they didn’t require guard rolling :frown: especially with only a 225 tyre.
I am doing preliminary research into tyre sizes and calculated that 225/40r17 (-0.8% difference in diameter) or 235/40r17 (+0.4% difference in diameter) were the sizes closest to factory overall diameter. How do you find the 45 profile (+2.9%) on the 225’s? Do you feel much loss in acceleration?
Thanks

G’day emilmh,
You will love the Ohlins and the Enkeis... they completely transformed my car. I use my car mostly for fast mountain drives and trackdays, so I wanted tyres to suit. Higher profile tyres (45 series) are definitely more suited to trackwork as opposed to nice looking low profiles.... although you should be fine with 40 series. I only had to roll my rear guards because I set up the Ohlins so low. If I lifted the car by 10mm, I reckon I’d be fine. Rolling the guards was stressful, but easy and turned out fine. No scrubbing. The grip is unbelievable and I felt no loss in acceleration. I reckon you should go for 225/45. Rolling diameter is different across brands so I wouldn’t worry about that too much. 235’s might look nice, but you’ll need to have the right offset, camber, ride height, damping and sway bars to prevent scrubbing. If you are local to Shellharbour, you’re welcome to check out my setup. Cheers.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”