D.A.M's NA6

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Ice88
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re: D.A.M's NA6

Postby Ice88 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Take it back. You paid for it and they didn't deliver.

Have had my share of bad experiences with people in Brisbane. To the point that I no longer bother with most brisbane shops :)

D.A.M
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby D.A.M » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Basically right now im happy the car is back and running well at least. I didnt get the hp figures I had hoped for but I am told i did aim a bit high, but hoping maybe a retune down the track might help me reach near 120 or more. The tuner left the air flow sensor on and ignored the air temp sensor i provided for some reason, but I'll just leave that for now.

Going to plug it in soon and see what it's reading as my issue may be one of three things

1) Running lean due to stock injectors
2) My intake is choking it on top end power
3) Tuner did a rushed job on the car

Will post updates shortly
White 1993 NA6
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=57652

Lakeside: 1:09

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:00 am

Not that I know a real lot about tuning stand alone ECU,

The AFM has a temp sensor in it. But if the afm has been removed you would get a more accurate result if the air temp is installed. a better place for the air temp would perhaps be near the plenum if at all possible.not sure if it would m,ake a massive difference though. i would assume that you would get better drive ability with it installed?

did you open up the air intake? or is it the standard one? Like removed air box & enlarged the intake? I would assume with all the trouble you went though, you would have done that.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 am

Im pretty pedantic with invoices these days but there have been times where Ive spent 9 hours on a car, 3 of those hours were doing fiddly things in perfect ways rather than rushing it together, or fixing minor things previous workmanship broke or flocked up, and I bill 7 hours. The original quote was for 6 hours but I really felt the need to fix something or do something right that was previously done dodgy, and so I call the guy explain that it needs fixing and bill him 1 hour for 3 hours work. Then I give him the invoice and it says something incorrect accidentally, like I write:

Labour hours, 7- Fabricated exhaust manifold, Installed manifold, turbocharger oil and water lines, repaired downpipe, fabricated and installed downpipe brace.

So Ive spent 9 hours and billed 7. But the guy doesnt have water lines on his turbo. Next thing I know Ive got a stern message about charging him for labour I didnt do. Even though I worked 8am-5pm with no lunchbreak to get the car done and billed for only 7 hours.

TLDR, if the bill is fair and the result is good, forget it.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:12 pm

I have a policy at work "argue losses never argue wins"

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:32 am

StanTheMan wrote:Not that I know a real lot about tuning stand alone ECU,

The AFM has a temp sensor in it. But if the afm has been removed you would get a more accurate result if the air temp is installed. a better place for the air temp would perhaps be near the plenum if at all possible.not sure if it would m,ake a massive difference though. i would assume that you would get better drive ability with it installed?

did you open up the air intake? or is it the standard one? Like removed air box & enlarged the intake? I would assume with all the trouble you went though, you would have done that.

Yea the intake is one of Nitro Dann's

but as of the weekend with Jamal's help. we figured out the car runs and idles fine with the air flow meter disconnected, so that helps a bit.
All I need to do now is wire up an air temp sensor and work out the issue (or really just work out) how its getting my throttle position if the variable tps isn't connected to the throttle body..
White 1993 NA6

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:31 pm

So bit of an update, during all jap day we tested to see if the air flow meter was still in use and we disconnected it and the car ran as per normal, although the other day it basically decided it needed it again by turning on and then stalling immediately.

BUT the car is booked for the 26th at Horsepower Solutions to be re tuned. Justin is the tuner there was nice to talk to, gave me the time of day and was much nicer to deal with compared to mark from Godzilla Motorsport. So hopefully this time round it should go better, he believes he can squeeze a bit more HP out of the engine and fix up the idle issues I've been having of late. Using this opportunity to fix all the weird things Godzilla did such as tuning the car using the supplied Variable TPS, deleting the AFM and using an air temp sensor. He invited me to come along during the tune so I can watch and learn the process of it too which will be exciting for me.
White 1993 NA6

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:28 am

Went through old pages and realised half the photos have disappeared :cry:

I have been using Photobucket to resize and upload images, So might look into using tapatalk or something. what is everyone else using?
White 1993 NA6

Cus
Racing Driver

Postby Cus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm

I use imgur.com personally, they allow large file uploads, and won't compress images to death.

You can make imgur resize the images for you; put a lowercase h on the end of the file name for a 'huge thumbnail'

So: http://i.imgur.com/0ns3d31.jpg
would become: http://i.imgur.com/0ns3d31h.jpg
and it looks like this: (fits on my little laptop screen - image taken from 88RICEs garage thread)

'm' and 'l' will give you medium and large thumbnails as well, a 'large' is about half the size of the 'huge'

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby slug_dub » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Dion if you are resizing your photos in Photobucket after already having posted them here, it might be that the address to the image is then being changed by Photobucket. I think you can choose to overwrite the image when you resize which may circumvent that issue but I haven't tested it. As long as you resize them first then post it should be ok.
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:15 am

I always finalised them and then uploaded them, but maybe because i moved some images around maybe? Im not too sure...

Should i re upload some lost ones on here or start a fresh thread?
White 1993 NA6

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby slug_dub » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Moving the images around in your bucket will break the links too.
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Ok due to my earlier photo's and they're dead links I'll re do a shortened story top where I am up to 8)

Took me awhile to get around to updating this but just got a new job and that has taken up much of my time! needless to say will be using tapatalk or Imgur from now on but.

So back in 2011 when i bought the MX-5, this is what she looked like

yeah sheep skin was the first thing to go..

Early day modifications consisted of:

Broadway Mirror

This subtle, yet cool gear knob that would melt your hand if out in the sun for more than a minute!

Roadster Door Sills

Deep Dish Wheel (now gone due to a delicious police fine) :evil:

Center Console Delete

Cusco Brake Master Cyclinder Stopper

had a strut brace but the Cusco Brake Master Cyclinder Stopper (above) replaced that

Current CES extarctors although I believe there maybe a crack/air leak so they'll be off soon

Jump forward a bit and had my first Nebo run.......(again thanks to John Pham and Andrew Thompson for the help)

White 1993 NA6

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:21 pm

First meet

Latest Photoshoot:
White 1993 NA6

D.A.M
Fast Driver

Postby D.A.M » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Ok an update regarding the recent tuning nightmare I had, do have some good news!!

I took the car for a quick session to Horsepower Solutions in Capalaba, the tuner there is Justin, a great guy with heaps of patience, and he was very busy due to powercruise but agreed to put the car in the dyno (between seeing customers) and see the mess Godzilla made, we hooked up and tuned the Variable Throttle Position Sensor to the ecu and ran the Godzilla tune, made 112.5hp, after some tweaking we got it to 130hp but still with the AFM connect, as we didnt have time to wire the Air Temp Sensor to replace it, but we'll be doing that in about a month when i book it in for a final tune. The car feels a lot nicer and climbs the rev range a hell of a lot smoother, we werent surprised if Godzilla Motorsport just uploaded the base map and left it...

Also getting the Power Steering rack de powered next week as the rack has seen its days, and i love the feel of the de powered steering racks too. :D
White 1993 NA6

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”