Corey's NB Journal

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Corey
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Corey's NB Journal

Postby Corey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:28 pm

billybunter wrote:so is it just a matter of drill and bolt on the front and rear flares plus do the cut out for the front guards or am I missing something obvious

also do you plan to do a photo install thread, think that would be interesting, and if I go ahead on the idea , you beat me to it too :lol:

all jokes aside I think seeing I am running a bit of hp this move and wheel upgrade idea might be worth a punt :wink: so I like what you have

You will need to cut both front fender and rear guards for tyre clearance. The rear guards have 2 skins, the outer part and the inner liner so you will need to cut and weld this then paint for weather proofing. The front flares are 30mm wider each side and rear is 40mm per side so your wheels will need to be quite wide to fit nicely.

I could probably document the process, we'll see how long it takes me on the first side.

Here's a video that explains basically how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrGvuvxq-o

billybunter
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby billybunter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm

thanks, I will check it out.

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Small update. The rear flares are temporarily screwed on, and I've cut the front fenders ready to fit them tomorrow afternoon.

I still need to come up with a solution for side indicators since these delete the socket for the factory ones.

I have some 225/45r15 RS3's to go on hopefully tomorrow. then I can drive it over to the body shop for paint.

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Spotted on the Skidpan today mate. Looking nice and wide. The gaurds look even better in person
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 pm

mx5002 wrote:Spotted on the Skidpan today mate. Looking nice and wide. The gaurds look even better in person

Thanks a lot! Im pretty happy with how the car is looking so far, but theres a lot more I want to do to it! I'll post some photos if I find any from photographers in the coming days

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Corey wrote:Image

I love that you have a vision for your car, and you're doing it very well. I would never have the balls to do this!

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I love that you have a vision for your car, and you're doing it very well. I would never have the balls to do this!

Thanks! It took a lot of courage from me to cut the car up for the fender flares, but I'm pleased with the results so far! Its really just the start for me though, I have so much planned for this car.

Here are some photos of when I got it back from the paint shop and the then one at WTAC (courtesy of sam baker) and when I got home from WTAC.

I am super happy about how the car went, no scrubbing and scrapping like I used to! The car has a nice stance (chunkey and wide), and the car is around 100mm from the ground so win win!

I cant wait to get stuck into making a bit of power.

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:36 am

I have never noticed this thread before. It's pretty impressive to see what your doing. The flares look good painted too. It's crying out for a fastback now. Pity they are taking so long.. The guys are starting at the end of the month, but I go to America for 2 weeks then. Bad timing... I will be getting plenty of inspiration at SEMA. :)
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

Daffy
Forum legend

Postby Daffy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Its looking fantastic Corey :BROADY: !
I’ll be doing at a bit more with suspension etc shortly, but after that’s sorted, some (inspired by yours) bodywork on mine to look more in tune with what I have under bonnet will be in order..... and dare I say I’ll be picking your brain (and Lightyear’s) a tad when that time comes :wink:
StanTheMan wrote:sweet, Its not all about huge hp.

viewtopic.php?t=73496

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 pm

lightyear wrote:I have never noticed this thread before. It's pretty impressive to see what your doing. The flares look good painted too. It's crying out for a fastback now. Pity they are taking so long.. The guys are starting at the end of the month, but I go to America for 2 weeks then. Bad timing... I will be getting plenty of inspiration at SEMA. :)

You said it :wink: :beer:

Daffy wrote:Its looking fantastic Corey :BROADY: !
I’ll be doing at a bit more with suspension etc shortly, but after that’s sorted, some (inspired by yours) bodywork on mine to look more in tune with what I have under bonnet will be in order..... and dare I say I’ll be picking your brain (and Lightyear’s) a tad when that time comes :wink:

Happy to help when the time comes :D

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 pm

I think its time to revive this thread. Honestly, not much has happened other than a lot of planning. As some of you might know I picked up a lightyear fastback, but it wasn't really up to my standards for the car (windows taped in, front doesnt meet the windscreen) and the bottom lip where the rear window is always kinda bugged me, so I played around in photoshop thought what if I just delete the window entirely? Heres my idea so far.

But I was thinking of putting some like vortex generator type things similar to whats on the NOPRO NC GT hardtop to break up the large area a bit. similar to this:

Heres how the fastback is unpainted and unmodified:

It does look a bit odd there, but I think with the rest of the modifications I'm doing, it will fit in more.

I know I will have more of a blind spot, but hey it cant be worse than the soft top up right ;).

I've also ordered a kraken t25 with 3" downpipe instead of my SE turbo set up. Figured I would want more eventually, and this future proofs that.

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Alex 2550 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:44 am

The cars is looking great!

Spooks4
Driver

Postby Spooks4 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Cars looking good man, I remember seeing a photo of it a while a go and it’s the reason I bought the front splitter for my SE hopefully the fastback works out for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”