Project Evolution NB8A

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Storm
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Project Evolution NB8A

Postby Storm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi, My names Jason, been around cars for a long time, had a lot, way too long to list and all different sorts, HSV's, fords, Porsches, Mercedes, etc, about a year ago I bought an manual NA6 pictured below:
IMAG0029.jpg

It was my first mx5, it was a great car but I had to sell it (I chop and change cars a lot) a lot of the time I just like to fiddle with cars and bring them up from nothing to something.
Recently I have been looking for a new project and I saw this 99 evolution gold NB come up for sale and it was auto which was.... 'different' I do prefer mx5's in a manual however my girlfriend can only drive auto and I partly needed a back up car that my girlfriend could drive too as we are about to sell her car and I went and had a look at it and they wanted a bit much for it and he wouldn't accept my offer for it so I walked away, 2 weeks later my girlfriends car blew a driveshaft and being a rare model Mercedes in Australia tracking down a driveshaft and replacing it was an issue and she needed a car desperately and after a long hard look and checking out heaps of cars I kept coming back to this evolution gold NB so just a few hours before my girlfriend desperately needed to go to work I called up the guy with the Evolution gold NB again and offered a little higher this time and told him I'll give you cash right now and pick it up right now and he decided to accept the offer and we went to pick-up the car.
It needs a lot of work but I'm going to get started on it as soon as I can.
Needs paint, the carpet is horrid, the seats are horrid (even when they were new, cream just does not suit it) the stupid stick on gold brushed steel look stuff all over the interior is horrid, the wheels could also do with a paint, and it was very dirty, so nearly the entire car needs a make over, mechanically however it's good, it was a mechanic who owned it.
Oh, and the soft top is good too, it used to be a hard top car

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

I'm thinking I might even do some youtube videos of the build and stick them up here.
It the end of it all I'm not looking to make it a track car all's it's going to be is a nice cheap cruiser get around car that makes the trip to work and the shops a little more exciting.

Plans:
take off silly stick on bits on the interior.
Retrim entire interior including carpet (at the moment I'm thinking black with gold stitching and diamond inserts)
Repaint the outside.
Repaint the wheels (thinking going a little darker then factory, like grey maybe)
And I'm not sure what else yet.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyT
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Project Evolution NB8A

Postby AndyT » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:45 am

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but there's no stopping a man with a plan! Trust you bought well enough that you don't overcapitalize.

Don't mind the cream/tan interior myself. That said if you want to save a few bucks at the beginning, a restoration of the leather using Leatherique products should have it come up very well.

Code4
Fast Driver

Postby Code4 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am

Welcome to the madness. Enjoy that car.
Never put the top up unless the storm has a name.

Storm
Learner Driver

Postby Storm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:14 pm

I have done trimming and panel before in previous jobs so for me to do mini restores on cars is pretty cheap and I have fun doing it.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”