SE Mazda Hi-Spec Factory Alarm Upgrade question

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

SE Mazda Hi-Spec Factory Alarm Upgrade question

Postby KevGoat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Noticed while we were out for lunch yesterday, that the alarm in my SE kept getting set off by passing 4WD's and Harley's!! Ended up having to leave it unlocked.

I had a look today and could only find the microwave/proximity sensor under the dash next to the steering column. This has two adjustments on it but neither one seems to affect shock/impact.

Owner's manual states that the shock/impact sensitivity is adjustable, but nowhere does it mention how to adjust it or where the sensor is fitted! Even the fitting instructions manual has nothing about the impact sensor.

Thought about removing the whole alarm system as I REALLY HATE CAR ALARMS!! :evil: ... but for once this one looks beyond me :?

Anyone out there with an SE with the factory alarm upgrade fitted know where the impact sensor is fitted?

atlast
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: SE Mazda Hi-Spec Factory Alarm Upgrade question

Postby atlast » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:11 pm

The previous owner of my NC gave me the alarm key, but said, "Don't use it, it goes off for no reason all the time"

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:26 pm

This one works from the factory remote, so no choice unless return to the dark ages and lock/unlock by key :? ... and open the door for my wife and old worldly gentlemanly stuff like that :roll:

I'm wondering how often this alarm has gone off like this in the past without me realising it (I never look at the little red light thingy!) and annoyed the crap out of everyone around :lol: It's gone off in my carport a few times when the cat has jumped up onto the car, but I never thought much about that being a problem until now.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Well even more searching I may have found the answer - on Mazda247 there's a write up on adding the Mazda Shock Sensor kit to the factory alarm and they fit it in the driver's side kick panel. So will have a look in there tomorrow.

But if anyone can confirm where theirs is fitted - still appreciated

Locutus
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Locutus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Not sure of its the same unit, but the dealer fitted genuine Mazda alarm in my SP used to go off all the time. Tuning the microwave sensor to minimum sensitivity helped marginally. The microwave sensor also serves as the shock sensor in most cars.

Ended up pulling the microwave out which solved it completely.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 pm

I tried unplugging the microwave sensor to see if that changed anything, but when I thumped the car the alarm still went off, so I still assume there's a separate sensor. I thought with the two adjustment screws on the MW sensor that one might have been the for impact and one movement but apparently not.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:36 pm

KevGoat wrote:Well even more searching I may have found the answer - on Mazda247 there's a write up on adding the Mazda Shock Sensor kit to the factory alarm and they fit it in the driver's side kick panel. So will have a look in there tomorrow.

But if anyone can confirm where theirs is fitted - still appreciated

This sounds familiar, I have a similar generation 323 Astina with the factory alarm. I took it back under warranty because I couldn't get it to work by shoving or hitting various parts of the car.
The tech walked over and kicked the driver's side front wheel and off she went..... "seems to work fine" he said with a smile.... :roll:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Actually I read earlier today in the fitting instruction manual that kicking the driver's side front wheel is what it says to test the impact sensor. Kick it softly it shouldn't go off, kick it harder and it should. I just tapped on the windscreen surround and it went off! I have a vague memory I've seen this sensor before when I've had things apart - a photo of the sensor in that forum thread I mentioned reminded me - I just need to remember where it was :lol:

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 am

Microwave sensors are good in theory, but rubbish in execution. The bubble they form expands/contracts due to ambient temperature, resulting in unreliable sensitivity.
I would find it and remove the sensor. Maybe unplug it from the main alarm module?

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:36 am

Yeah I've unplugged that whole microwave sensor module now but still have the impact issue. Had half the car apart this morning and still can't locate it! Found the main module and had that off the bracket on the kick panel wall and makes no difference to any shock so it doesn't seem to be built into that module as it wasn't attached to the car and still the alarm went off with a "gentle" knock on windscreen pillar. Nothing behind the passenger kick panel. Took the instrument panel out and nothing behind there. Can't see anything under the bonnet but they're rarely fitted there. Tried tracing wires but my back started playing up squirming around under the dash so had to give up for a while. Rang local Mazda dealership and they couldn't help :-/ then he suggested I bring it in and he quoted me $250 to adjust!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Ok so how useless is this alarm ... have unplugged the siren and everything still works! Yeah the battery backup means the siren is going nuts but I just wrapped it up in a blanket and that has shut it up until the battery goes flat. I thought unplugging that would set the immobiliser or something and at least stop me starting the car even with the key but nup car starts! So unplugged the main control module and all locks work and car starts! That's pathetic! Basically looks like all it is good for is making a noise and doesn't stop anything from working!! Anyway gives me a temporary fix. Been looking more and still can't find that stupid sensor. Followed as many wires and nothing. Think I might try to work out if I can remove it all now. Factory immobiliser still works and all doors/boot etc work from the remote so no loss apart from some weight saving lol.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:49 pm

Literally the worst part of any car, active and intelligent anti theft practices are the key, not something that makes a noise everyone ignores.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Completely agree Dann.

... and it's all removed now! Once I knew it was just a noise maker and not cut in to the starting or fuel systems I just followed each wire and removed them all. Easiest system I've ever removed in the end! Hate to think how much $$$ someone wasted having that optioned on!

So all sorted ... and there was no seperate impact sensor in the end. Nothing inside the main control box I could see where any adjustments could be made so haven't a clue.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Here's some help for anyone else in the future...after battery wore down I unwrapped the siren from the blanket. Noticed this little gromet:

Removed it and ...

Would you believe it!!!

Ah well, better off without it all anyway.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”