Ipod adaptor Q - yes i have searched

Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

heggs1980

Ipod adaptor Q - yes i have searched

Postby heggs1980 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 am

Hi there

I want to get an ipod adaptor for my 2001 NB and keep the factory look, so need an adaptor such as the auxmod (which i am struggling to find info on).

My question is, how much are these and where can i buy one (other than on line)? I know nothing about how to take out the head unit so would rather pay someone to do the whole thing at a car audio place.

Also, where does the lead from the head unit actually come out for the ipod to plug in? I am not too keen on cutting holes in the trim if that is what is required.........

(sorry for the long post - am suffering from verbal diarhoea.....)

RichardD

Postby RichardD » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi heggs1980, I am looking for the same solution for my 2002 NB (pretty sure there the same stereo). I came across one product that plugs into the cd changer and allows you to use the headset to control the ipod. I even found a aussie distributer

http://cart.dodds.com.au/index.php?main ... ducts_id=1

But everytime I call them it goes to \"telstra home messages\" and they havn't responded to my email either. The same product can also be sourced from the UK or USA but costs abit more. I think its around $US 150 + shipping.

I have now decided to wait a month or two before getting one as have already spent to much of this months paycheck on my car.

If you find any other products please post them as if theres a alternative to this product that seems as good I would also like to look into it.

Cheers,
RichardD

pedrok

Postby pedrok » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi
There is a post here about how to install one
http://www.ozmazda.com/forums/lofiversi ... /t497.html

I couldnt find it but there is one about a group buy on the same site as well

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:43 am

Thats the one I have. But that version wont let you change songs on your Ipod with the headunit controls. It just allows you to add an auxilary input with a 3.5mm headphone jack. It works realy well though if that's all that you are looking for.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

heggs1980

Postby heggs1980 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:07 am

Yeah Garry thats all i am after.

Did you buy it over the net and install it yourself? Also if you can't control it through the head unit, is the ipod installed close enough that you can change songs without too much trouble while you are driving?

And most importantly - $$???

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:57 pm

I got it online directly from the US manufacturer. http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/ I think it was around $AUS100 delivered but it was a long time ago. It may be a bit cheaper now with the more favourable exchange rates.

I installed it myself. Very easy to install after you manage to remove the head unit from the car, which can be a c^$*Z@#t of a job or very easy depending if you manage to hook up with the head unit locating clips properly.

I'm not using an Ipod but I was using an I-river MP3 player. I thought I had a problem with the aux connector. Sometimes it wouldn't play properly when I restarted the car quicky after filling up with petrol etc but it appears that was caused by my old MP3 player and not the aux connector. I have tried 2 other MP3 players and they both work perfectly all the time.

I used to store my MP3 player in the console which made it a pain to operate, but my new MP3 player will be mounted just beside the headunit for easy accessability.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

heggs1980

Postby heggs1980 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Thanks very much Garry - just the info I was after.

Amanda
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Amanda » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Try these guys too, they come too you and do the install or can ship to your state (if they dont have a local distributer/installer near you) they are definitely worth sussing out.

I'd ring them and see if they have a kit suitable for the MX5 before dissmissing the info on the website... cheers :lol:

http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/?gcl ... YAodWCrGOA

RichardD

Postby RichardD » Tue May 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Don't know if you are still looking to get a ipod adapter but, I just ordered one of the audio link ipod adapters from www.therpmstore.com
in the US. it worked out to be around $150 Australian. I will let you know how it goes after I get it.

heggs1980

Postby heggs1980 » Tue May 01, 2007 4:05 pm

Yes I am still looking - will be interested to hear your feedback on this one as it is probably leading the way so far.

idb000
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re:

Postby idb000 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:23 pm

RichardD wrote:Don't know if you are still looking to get a ipod adapter but, I just ordered one of the audio link ipod adapters from www.therpmstore.com
in the US. it worked out to be around $150 Australian. I will let you know how it goes after I get it.

Richard, have you still got the stock headunit in your car, and if so is it the one that has 1133 on the front in very small numbers near the display? This is the headunit I have and I would love to know if the AudioLink will work with my stereo. I'm interested to hear how you go.

Thanks
Ian :D
2001 Black MX5 NB8B
http://www.idb000.com

Boyracer
MX-5 Encyclopedia
Vehicle: NC

Postby Boyracer » Fri May 04, 2007 8:26 am

I got that Mazda newsletter thing in the mail the other day and there was an article about a genuine Ipod adaptor to suit most Mazda models...give Mazda spare parts a call.
NC Roadie, NC Racey, ND Racey….and a 30AE

Plus several others in the bone yard...

RichardD

Re:

Postby RichardD » Fri May 04, 2007 10:04 am

idb000 wrote:Richard, have you still got the stock headunit in your car, and if so is it the one that has 1133 on the front in very small numbers near the display? This is the headunit I have and I would love to know if the AudioLink will work with my stereo. I'm interested to hear how you go.

Thanks
Ian :D

Yeah I still have the factory headunit (the only reason I'm getting the adapter is I don't want to change the headunit cause I like the neat look) from my '02 NB8B. I don't know if it has those numbers I will check later. But I'm still waiting for the product to ship from the USA, apparently they where out of stock but were supposed to get more by the end of this week. But will keep everyone informed when it comes.

Boyracer wrote:I got that Mazda newsletter thing in the mail the other day and there was an article about a genuine Ipod adapter to suit most Mazda models...give Mazda spare parts a call.

Yeah I looked at this option but mazda want almost $400 for this and this other product has the exact same functionality it seems from my research.

Cheers,
RichardD

idb000
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby idb000 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks Richard and Boyracer! I might check out this Mazda iPod adaptor, but at $400, its probably better to go the AudioLink, but worth a look anyway.

Thanks
Ian
2001 Black MX5 NB8B
http://www.idb000.com

RichardD

Re:

Postby RichardD » Mon May 07, 2007 10:29 am

idb000 wrote:Richard, have you still got the stock headunit in your car, and if so is it the one that has 1133 on the front in very small numbers near the display?

I finally got around to checking and my headunit does have 1133 on the headunit. Also they have shipped the ipod adapter so I hopefully should be able to tell you how it works by the end of the week.

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”