Audio, Electronics and Lighting questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

zacMX5aus
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NA Aftermarket Head Unit

Postby zacMX5aus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 am

Hi,

I've purchased an aftermarket pioneer head unit for my 1991 mx5 and while I've got the wiring sorted, I'm less sure on how to mount it. There was no bracket in the tombstone when I bought the car. Has anyone had this issue in the past? The pioneer manual says to just bend out the tabs of the mounting sleeve it comes with but this will only stop it falling out, not moving up and down. Is there a bracket I can buy that will attach to a single din head unit AND 2 of the 4 radio mounting points of the mx5 shown in the photo?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: NA Aftermarket Head Unit

Postby KevGoat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I've only ever used those tabs that the head unit's instructions mention. Just bend as many of them as you can around the plastic fascia to make it secure and tight. Never had a problem with the units I've fitted bouncing around or anything. Also makes it easy to just slide the unit out anytime.

Here's a photo of one I fitted years ago. This one I added some adhesive around to seal some gaps but it also helped hold the bracket really tight!

Return to “MX5 Audio, Electronics & Lighting”