Mnt glorious/Mnt nebo roads (brisbane qld)

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Just completed the drive yesterday (Saturday).

It WOULD be a fantastic drive IF "nanna & poppa" drivers and large 4WD drivers would pull over occasionally and let people pass instead of pottering along with half a dozen cars banked up behind them :roll:

I hate sitting behind automatic drivers who's break lights are constantly on - that forces ME to brake too :evil:

Twice when I decide to overtake "Norweigan style" (mountain roads in Norway are much like this road and Norweigans are known to overtake regardless of speed/road conditions), I was confronted by a motorbike coming the other way which curbed my overtaking enthusiasm drastically :oops:

As for driving this road in fog conditions - NO WAY!

Next time I drive up this road I'll be going on a weekday morning, hopefully there wont be much traffic then.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Weekdays, early mornings, or foggy/rainy days are best for avoiding Camry drivers :wink: :lol:

It's not too bad in rain and fog - I've done that a few times. More satisfaction from getting through the adventure :D
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:29 pm

yes before 10am gets the clear runs. 7:30 brekky with 8:30 depature FTW!!!

Caffeine
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Mnt glorious/Mnt nebo roads (brisbane qld)

Postby Caffeine » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Drove these roads last sunday (in a commodore SV6 hire car, which did quite well)

Very nice roads, realistic speed limit, low traffic. Came away very impressed :)
Supreme Blue NB8B, 1:16.98 at Wakefield when stock, but it's not stock any more...

Ollygt
Driver

Postby Ollygt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 pm

I live very close so I'm lucky to drive these roads often :)
It's currently being graded from near the goat track to the turn off to the steep part to Samford.

Its a bit dodgy on the Weekend Mornings, with Police, overzealous bikers and car drivers who overtake on blind crests and cross the centre when going around corners. Oh and the usual sunday driver who can't understand that his Audi TT is quite capable of handling those roads at more than 40km/hr

I still miss my first car which I used to take on the roads, some of the regular "Glorious Runners" might remember a ratty little black hatch with fat tyres *sigh* I still miss that car, it wasn't fast going up but going down with a car so light, manual steering and huge swaybars was so much fun. Now they may see light blue corolla with black steelies and slightly raked suspension, it's not quite there yet as a good runner around there but a bit more work and it'll be good.
Oh dear, the wick in the engine's gone out.

Steampunk
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Steampunk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 pm

The surface has been improved somewhat, especially just before Jolly's Lookout (if you're coming from Brisbane).
Watch out for the right-hander approx 2km from Jolly's (heading toward Brisbane), it's either the first or second sharp right that has guard-rails. It used to have a considerable hole, now it has a considerable hump.
Very unpleasant if you hit it at speed.

DaveWA
Fast Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Postby DaveWA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:20 pm

+1 on the Mt Nebo, Mt Glorious Road
The Buses get close coming the other way and cross the centreline because of the tightnesss of the corners
make sure you keep your eyes open,.
Whilst I did the road in an unamed hire car, its alot of fun...great drive
we need this road in Perth

corners
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Supercharged

Postby corners » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:26 pm

DaveWA wrote:The Buses get close coming the other way and cross the centreline because of the tightnesss of the corners

Driving it of a night time avoids this problem 8)
Steampunk wrote: Oh you've got Ohlins? You must like drugs too!!!

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I've gotta say that in 40 or so years I've never seen a bus on that road west of City Council bus stop at The Gap. :?

DaveWA
Fast Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Postby DaveWA » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 pm

re the buses, i had 2 of them in the first 5kms, Friday morning.... none after that

Kev05
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Kev05 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm contemplating organising a regular run on Friday night on a slightly longer route. Possibly starting in Samford, up Mt Glorious, into Mt Nebo and then to a coffee stop. The Mt Nebo will be the the usual run. Including Samford will probably add 30 minutes into the overall run time. Depending on the number of cars attending, it will be paired into two groups, the fast and furious and the quick (within legal limit) but comfortable open top cruise. Both group will reconvene at a meeting point before heading off for coffee. These way newbies wishing to go quicker can do so (at their peril) on future gathering. It is only in the planning stage and canvassing for interest. PM me or reply to this thread if interested.

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”