NB LSD model help

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

pdsman53
Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

NB LSD model help

Postby pdsman53 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:29 am

Hi MX5 Nuts,
I am looking to upgrade my trackday car from an NA8 to an NB and need to know some more about the different models.

I know that NB "base" models came with Open Diffs.

and I know that the Anniversary models 10th AE/ Heritage /SP /SE, came with LSD standard.

I've also seen that some option packages came with LSD....ie "HardS" and "PEP".
"PEP"....."Popular Equipment Package"....generally LSD
"Hard S"..(passenger door sticker)....has fixed antenna and LSD 

Does anyone know if these 2x options were available in Australia??
Cheers

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: NB LSD model help

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Why upgrade? You have a major weight advantage on an NB, that is not to be thrown away lightly ... (sorry about that one).

Short answer, no (I think). Only ADM NBs with LSD were 10AE and SE, as I understand it. Unless you have a constrained rule set, plenty of ex-Japan Torsens around to fit your chosen NB though. Also fit your NA8 :wink: ...

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

pdsman53
Driver

Postby pdsman53 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Thx GM,
The NA is 220000km, starting to use a "stick full" of oil per track day and needs plenty of $s to bring it back up to scratch...that's why I'm upgrading to an NB and probably a standard VVT.....(I'd like to go the BP4W route, but getting old and lazy).

With the VVT extra few kw and stripping some "fat", like door cards, carpets, fit race seats, aircon etc....and transferring the NAs race bits, hopefully it is comparable.

Do you know if Australia got the "PEP" or the "Hard S" options....they were the uprated suspension option...which incl diff (albeit 3.9:1) tower strut, Bilstein, bracing etc??
Cheers.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Never ever heard of those options.
Probably buy the best NB you can afford and then put the diff of your choice into it.

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 pm

pdsman53 wrote:Thx GM,
The NA is 220000km, starting to use a "stick full" of oil per track day and needs plenty of $s to bring it back up to scratch...that's why I'm upgrading to an NB and probably a standard VVT.....(I'd like to go the BP4W route, but getting old and lazy).

With the VVT extra few kw and stripping some "fat", like door cards, carpets, fit race seats, aircon etc....and transferring the NAs race bits, hopefully it is comparable.

Do you know if Australia got the "PEP" or the "Hard S" options....they were the uprated suspension option...which incl diff (albeit 3.9:1) tower strut, Bilstein, bracing etc??
Cheers.

As said before, the only Australian NB's with LSD's were the 10AE and the SE.
Any other Limited or special model NB here is just another NB with some cosmetics. Except the SP which is just an unfinished project car...

There were no factory options in Australia for NB's other than the SE which you cold option Leather Seats.
Only accessories were available which also includes air-conditioning as it was dealer fit(at least on later NB's, may have been factory on earlier ones)
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Yeah, I don't know where you are getting those codes from, but I have never heard of them (FWTW). ADM was (is?) pretty basic compared to some, generally limited options/variants offered.

What rules are you running under? If they say it must be an Australian delivered/sold model it might limit your freedom to throw an LSD in, or swap a 6-speed for a 5-speed, change a diff ratio, etc. Read your rules before you spend your money is my mantra 8) .

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

pdsman53
Driver

Postby pdsman53 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks Luke,
That clears that up...
I was under the impression that the Heritage was given the LSD, as well.
The '99 AEs, are asking way too much money, at the moment...

So it's starting to look like I will be hunting for a 2001 NB FL, with the BP6D VVT and transfer my current track NA suspension bits across.

Will my NA Clubman 4.1:1 Torsen LSD, bolt straight into the 2001 NB?
Cheers.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:50 am

pdsman53 wrote:Will my NA Clubman 4.1:1 Torsen LSD, bolt straight into the 2001 NB?
Cheers.

Yes it will.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm

pdsman53 wrote:was under the impression that the Heritage was given the LSD

Understandable, IIRC Heritage was incorrectly said to have an LSD in an early car magazine article & it's been often repeated as a result since.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”