NA seat mounting: a hole with no thread

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Forgiven
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NA seat mounting: a hole with no thread

Postby Forgiven » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:15 am

When I went to bolt the seat back in, the thread on the other side of the floor for one of the bolts dropped off. Can somebody tell me the fix please.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: NA seat mounting: a hole with no thread

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:37 am

On the NA8 at least (& IIRC NA6 was the same) the front seat bolts screw into captive nuts in a boxed section. So seat will need to come out again if reinstalled & carpet will need to be lifted to allow visibility of the area to gauge accessibility. Check the condition of boxed section metal in the vicinity of the bolt hole for damage which might have allowed the captive nut to escape. If all good, it might be possible to manoeuvre the nut into the correct position with a knitting needle & magnet.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:00 pm

As above, you may be able to use a magnet etc to shift it, but even then you'll likely not be able to properly torque it down without the nut just spinning.

The most common solutions are to either cut the welds and remove the seat hump, weld the nut back into place, then weld the seat hump back to the floor.

Or, for a simpler option, people have also used rivnuts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

These allow you to make a captive nut without needing to access the back of the panel.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Rivnut would be ideal but I'm thinking if it actually needs to be strong (I think so). I don't know if the rivnut mounting offers that much strength. It is a seat mounting so safety is paramount.

Forgiven
Fast Driver

Postby Forgiven » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks for the practical solution khs_kansei. And the sensible caution Bruce. I was about to buy a rivet nut kt, but now I'll wait for an engineer to weigh in.

Forgiven
Fast Driver

Postby Forgiven » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm

This article supports Bruce's caution: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... s&A=113110.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Have you pulled the carpet and checked the state of the floor and the other seat mounts? I had a bolt come loose on my NA and when I checked I had rust under the carpet and most of the mounts on both sides were suss. I took the car to a crash repairer and for a couple hundred bucks or so they fabricated new mounts and treated/painted the floor. Safe and peace of mind for a few $$$ ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm

From the above article;
I’ve seen seat brackets bolted to rivnuts inserted through the car’s floor panel: this is dangerously stupid.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:49 pm

KevGoat wrote:Have you pulled the carpet and checked the state of the floor and the other seat mounts? I had a bolt come loose on my NA and when I checked I had rust under the carpet and most of the mounts on both sides were suss. I took the car to a crash repairer and for a couple hundred bucks or so they fabricated new mounts and treated/painted the floor. Safe and peace of mind for a few $$$ ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This.

Even if it's not rusted I'd still give it to a panelbeater to do a proper job of welding in a new nut and re-rustproofing it for you. I don't think amateur welding skills and seat mounts go together very well.
’95 NA8

Forgiven
Fast Driver

Postby Forgiven » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Ah, I'm glad I didn't do anything quickly - I have gone from trying to fish it out, to using a blind rivet nut myself, to taking it to ACDC, and now probably to a panelbeater. Thanks guys.

Forgiven
Fast Driver

Postby Forgiven » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:14 am

I realised later that my last post may have sounded sarcastic. It wasn't meant that way - I am appreciative of the help, leading me to the right solution, saving me from doing something ineffective or dangerous.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”