Respray prep - removing black trim below side windows and around soft top to body

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

twr7cx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Respray prep - removing black trim below side windows and around soft top to body

Postby twr7cx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am

I'm getting my 89 NA6 resprayed and doing some of the prep work myself.
I need to remove the black plastic trim running between the side windows and the doors (circled in yellow) and at the base of the soft top to body (circled in green).

Given that it's a 30 year old vehicle now, I thought it would be best to ask for guidance before snapping/breaking old brittle plastic. Any advise on how best to remove both of these?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Respray prep - removing black trim below side windows and around soft top to body

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:11 am

To remove the one around the base of the soft top, you're going to have to remove the soft top. I think the window moulding should be car simpler, but I'm not experienced on that one, however I know a bunch of people replaced theirs not too long ago after Mania organised a group by on new rubber. So surely someone is familiar with the process.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Respray prep - removing black trim below side windows and around soft top to body

Postby KevGoat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:08 am

https://www.miata.net/garage/beltline/index.html

I've done it a couple of times successfully. Just take your time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

green_comet
Car Detailing Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby green_comet » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 pm

The window trim is held on with little white clips, you get a thin blade/card between it and the paint, lift the trim with your hands and use the blade/card to push on each clips to pop it off. That large moulding can only be removed by taking the soft top out, it's held on with a bunch of nuts and some sticky stuff.

twr7cx
Fast Driver

Postby twr7cx » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 am

Cheers for that!

Wolfgang
Fast Driver

Postby Wolfgang » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:59 am

Buy yourself a set of trim removal tools, will make the job of removing the window trims a lot easier.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/tol ... lsrc=aw.ds

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”