NA door trim refurb/replacement - top section separating from main part

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

twr7cx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NA door trim refurb/replacement - top section separating from main part

Postby twr7cx » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:38 am

My 1989 NA6 door trims are getting tired now at 30 years old - on the car they still look ok, but the top section that runs the length just below the side windows is coming away from the bottom half due to either the screw holes in the plastic breaking off or the screw heads pulling through the door card backing. What have others done to refurb this? I would assume given that all NA's are getting on now I'm unlikely to find a good set from a wreck.

The other issues is that the cut outs for the popper plug clips holes are starting to wear and enlarge.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: NA door trim refurb/replacement - top section separating from main part

Postby ManiacLachy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:24 am

I bought some NA uppers to use in my NB with some flat door cards and found the same problem.

There's a link on the big forum where a guy designed some 3D printed plugs that glue on to the broken stub, that you can then screw into.

Miata.net discussion: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=649165
The 3D design files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2482054
Imgur photo gallary of the pieces : https://imgur.com/a/wPBOT

I uploaded the design to an online (but local) 3D printing service, they printed me a whole bunch and mailed them out to me. I haven't used them yet, but they look good. Hope to get into this project soon!

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Thats a pretty cool hi tech solution- never would have thought about that. I have done some door trims in various cars on the basis of just working something out in the shed. However you may well be able to fabricate using something lying around - e.g. if the holes are enlarged and worn thru age / moisture ingress try say a piece of flashing cut to shape and glue it on the inside. Seeing as the flashing is thin its probably not going to present a problem.I would certainly have a look at what ML has presented.

twr7cx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby twr7cx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm

That 3D printing solution is brilliant. Cheers.

I think the actual door cards are in ok enough condition that they can be made to work.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”