NA shorter dead pedal rest for left leg?

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

twr7cx
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NA shorter dead pedal rest for left leg?

Postby twr7cx » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:21 am

Wondering if anyone has found a good solution for a shorter dead pedal rest for the left leg on an NA? Trying to make a bit more room in the cabin.

Some of the USA Miata forums talk about just removing it but it does leave the studs in place still which is not ideal, especially when bare foot.

Found this on Jass Performance website in the UK, DEAD PEDAL REPLACEMENT < http://www.jassperformance.com/shop/dea ... 59845.html >:

"The dead pedal replacement is a bolt on solution that gives the maximum space in the footwell. Finished in mirror polished stainless steel it fits over the welded bolts and builds up only two centimeters.

Fits with or without the side footwell trim, although maximum space for wider shoes is achieved without the trim.

Fitting kit consists of replacement nuts and is provided."

but it doubles the price when you have it posted internationally.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: NA shorter dead pedal rest for left leg?

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 am

For a cheaper option you could pretty easily make one from timber and paint it, or cover it with grip tape or similar.

Otherwise, I the jass one looks to be folded sheet steel, so could be thrown together in 10mins by someone with a metal brake.
Or at home with a vice and hammer in a bit more time.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 am

I thought you wanted a block of wood to make it 'shorter' - just like Short-round in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom.
Yes, just make one yourself. Or maybe shorten the existing one by sectioning it.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm

twr7cx wrote:Some of the USA Miata forums talk about just removing it but it does leave the studs in place still which is not ideal, especially when bare foot.

In terms of the studs, you could screw the nuts onto the studs & place long rubber & carpet footwell mat over the nuts - that's how I've run mine since 1990.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”