NB heater core and aluminium pipes

Body, Paint, Interior and Trim questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

NB heater core and aluminium pipes

Postby takai » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Looking at changing the heater core on my NA while I have the dash out. Looking around it seems that the NB (in the US st least) has aluminium pipes and Vband clamps rather than the fixed copper ones. Is that the case here too? Or did our NBs come with copper pipe work. Would prefer alloy pipes if I can get them.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: NB heater core and aluminium pipes

Postby greenMachine » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:08 pm

My understanding is that the NBs are aluminium, and the NAs are copper - that is, the piping and core are the same material, and they are interchangeable.

I had a heater radiator failure in my NB8A, and so I think a precautionary change is probably a good idea (it ended up costing me an engine, long story). I replaced mine with another aluminium one (after-market, not OE), and as far as I can recall both were welded-on pipes and push-on hoses. If I had my time again I would go for the copper, but maybe that's because I am an old fart.

I've got one from a 2003 NB8B in my pile of bits, I'll see if I can check it out in the morning, whether there is a v-band.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 am

greenMachine wrote:My understanding is that the NBs are aluminium, and the NAs are copper - that is, the piping and core are the same material, and they are interchangeable.

I had a heater radiator failure in my NB8A, and so I think a precautionary change is probably a good idea (it ended up costing me an engine, long story). I replaced mine with another aluminium one (after-market, not OE), and as far as I can recall both were welded-on pipes and push-on hoses. If I had my time again I would go for the copper, but maybe that's because I am an old fart.

I've got one from a 2003 NB8B in my pile of bits, I'll see if I can check it out in the morning, whether there is a v-band.

This is what the yanks got on their NBs. https://imgur.com/S9AiEPV

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Then that is probably what we got. Mine is still wrapped up as part of the full dash, and currently inaccessible.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am

takai wrote:Looking at changing the heater core on my NA while I have the dash out. Looking around it seems that the NB (in the US st least) has aluminium pipes and Vband clamps rather than the fixed copper ones. Is that the case here too? Or did our NBs come with copper pipe work. Would prefer alloy pipes if I can get them.

I have the Ally heater pipes, vee bands, and the heater core if you want them? pulled them from NA had done 99 KM.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:52 am

GR124 wrote:
takai wrote:Looking at changing the heater core on my NA while I have the dash out. Looking around it seems that the NB (in the US st least) has aluminium pipes and Vband clamps rather than the fixed copper ones. Is that the case here too? Or did our NBs come with copper pipe work. Would prefer alloy pipes if I can get them.

I have the Ally heater pipes, vee bands, and the heater core if you want them? pulled them from NA had done 99 KM.

NA? All the catalogues only list copper cores for NAs.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Consider removing the heater core/fan and replacing with a heated windscreen. Less parts and less weight.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Magpie wrote:Consider removing the heater core/fan and replacing with a heated windscreen. Less parts and less weight.

Still a road car.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 pm

takai wrote:
GR124 wrote:

MY BAD, sorry takai, it's a NB8A :roll:

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Still legal as it can have the windscreen demisted. There is no rule to say how it is to be capable of being demisted.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 pm

GR124 wrote:
takai wrote:
GR124 wrote:

MY BAD, sorry takai, it's a NB8A :roll:

Ah for sure. Had one offer from a guy local to me, but if that falls through (previous 2 have been NA cores that people thought were aluminium) I’ll be in touch.

Return to “MX5 Body, Paint, Interior & Trim”