Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Cost of track / sprint day entry...

Postby beavis » Sun May 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi,

Just throwing a question out about how much track days cost for you, and how have they changed over the years?

In Melbourne:
Winton is usually the cheapest, ranging from $180 to $220 depending on who is running it. Winton can be closer to $150 or so for non timed or 'test and tune' days.
Sandown is the middle of the pack for cost. typically $220ish.
Phillip island single day events are often around $240... however today I received an email for an upcoming event with a $300 entry fee. Sadly for the local MX5 club, I believe the event in question may be a part of their 'motorsport calendar'. Piarc offers probably the best prices for Phillip Island, and occasionally run 2 day weekends for under $400 for both days.

It seems the cost of entries with some clubs has risen on average ~$50 per event over the last 6-8 years or so.

Cheers
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Cost of track / sprint day entry...

Postby NitroDann » Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 pm

That's probably in line with inflation.
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 pm

QR street sprints (lakeside and qr) are 145 for a half day session, general practice is 160 full day, 120 half day. Can do a 'super' saturday/sunday which is more practice in the morning and sprints in the arvo for $200.
Generally get about 60 laps of lakeside for a super day.

Dirt sprints have gone up up $10 in the last few years from 90 to 100 for members, including dorian hire... which is $10

Time attack is 160 and 300 for full day respectively. These are run by a dude with volunteers, these events attact most of the faster cars.

Prodsport races are around $300 for a one event. Qually and 3 or 4 races.

Not sure how much this stuff has increased over the years

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
plohl

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Mon May 30, 2016 1:25 am

The prices for the stuff I do around Sydney is:
CAMS Supersprints - $160+
MX5 Club - $150
Track School - $250
Circuit Club - $280
RTDC - $175
Speed off the streets - $150
ARDC Private Practice - $160 ($130 with ARDC membership)
ARDC Track Day - $340 ($170 twice a year ARDC membership)

I can't recall any of these days going up a lot in cost over the last few years which is sort of surprising but I think most companies do ok so probably don’t see a reason to change it too much.

The way I see it an extra $50 or $100 doesn’t make a big difference to the cost of the day since just the consumable cost on my car is over $400 (fuel, tyres, fluids, pads, rotors).

Some days are just better value than others though, for example at the Trackschool days I can pretty much count on getting well over 100 laps in at Wakefield if I want to which is double some other days so the cost per lap is really good.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 am

beavis wrote:Hi,

Phillip island single day events are often around $240... however today I received an email for an upcoming event with a $300 entry fee. Sadly for the local MX5 club, I believe the event in question may be a part of their 'motorsport calendar'. Piarc offers probably the best prices for Phillip Island, and occasionally run 2 day weekends for under $400 for both days.

Cheers

I wonder how much PIARC charge themselves for track hire?

Not debating that costs may have gone up, but sprinting would have to be the cheapest way to 'compete' in full size cars on full size race tracks.

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Mon May 30, 2016 8:56 am

Dan wrote:The way I see it an extra $50 or $100 doesn’t make a big difference to the cost of the day since just the consumable cost on my car is over $400 (fuel, tyres, fluids, pads, rotors).

That's it. Add in some tow fuel (if you tow), food and the odd bit of accommodation etc and it all adds up pretty quick. I think a lot of people don't accurately know what a day at the track costs them because the bills (oil/tyres/pads/etc) roll in between events and not all at the same time. Break or bend something and it goes up very quickly from there...

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 am

NitroDann wrote:That's probably in line with inflation.

Inflation is just over 1% pa.
Perhaps less people are entering, meaning more costs to spread around.
I don't know how u guys can afford those fees. $200 a throw is a lot.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon May 30, 2016 10:20 am

When I said inflation Im talking about overall cost of entertainment.

We are talking about a 20-30% rise in the cost of doing motorsport. 20-30% rise in the cost of entertainment over the last 5 years sounds right to me, whether we are comparing the price of the latest and greatest cinema experience or paintball, it sounds right I think.

Dann

RileyR
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby RileyR » Mon May 30, 2016 11:01 am

We can all agree that its definitely not cheap! Motorkhanas would have to be the cheapest. But you get what you pay for I think

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
1996 BRG NA8

1600Dave
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby 1600Dave » Mon May 30, 2016 12:01 pm

bruce wrote:
NitroDann wrote:I don't know how u guys can afford those fees. $200 a throw is a lot.

I often ponder this, especially this year with a $1595 track day coming up.....

But then just this morning someone at work is trying to sell 4 x State of Origin tickets @ $220 each. Concert tickets are up there as well. I go fishing with a mate regularly, a few hundred in fuel, plus bait, ice, food, etc.

Having fun ain't cheap.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 pm

It's all perspective. If you're earning a sheitload, it might seem cheap. To others, it's an extravagance.
When I did track days it was around $130. When the cost went up, I lost interest.
Running is cheap. Shoes, some comfortable clothes and you're off! If ya wanna get flash electronics, I say get some speed first.

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Mon May 30, 2016 1:02 pm

^Yep, go in with your eyes open.

I'm about to sell my MX5 but have records of everything I spent (track fees, maintaince costs, consumables, servicing, parts, purchase, tilt trays etc..) with the only thing I didn't keep track basically being petrol.

I do about 10 track days a year and my cost per track day after I sell the car will be around 1.1k per day according to my records, so about 11k a year.

My car has more spent on it than most but when I think about the enjoyment I got out of the car and how much I learnt about driving I'm not upset about the costs and there are a few things like new helmets, race suit, data logger, track camera etc.. I'll keep after I sell the car so the things I spent money on won't all go with the car.

The sadest thing I think is people who spend a fortune building their cars with track focussed mods to drive on the track and never take them out to get value out of their investment.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Mon May 30, 2016 1:39 pm

Ned Loh wrote:I wonder how much PIARC charge themselves for track hire?

PIARC dont own the track. Pretty sure Lindsay Fox still does.

Track days used to be $80 per day before he bought it. After he bought it they jumped straight up to $130, with no track changes or upgrades to justify it.. :evil:

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 pm

I mean this with full respect and complete seriousness, many people who build wild cars feel that cars on a racetrack is like seeing animals in a zoo.

Its not the same.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Mon May 30, 2016 2:03 pm

NitroDann wrote:I mean this with full respect and complete seriousness, many people who build wild cars feel that cars on a racetrack is like seeing animals in a zoo.

Are you saying that 'those people' think of the race track as a cage and that the 'wildly built' cars should be used on actual roads?

Even my 'fast street car' is boring on the street. I get to 45kmh and then I'm stuck behind a Camry.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”