Wanting to buy an MX5, not sure which way to go

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Wanting to buy an MX5, not sure which way to go

Postby chrons_rotary » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi guys, i've been running hillclimbs for a few years in my S1 Rx7 and have had plenty of fun in it, but now i want to move on to an NA MX5.
Just want some advice about whats a popular class/racing series around sydney (im from newcastle), also what size engine, and whether to go turbo or stay aspirated.
Im mostly wanting to stick to hillclimbs/super sprints for the moment with the possibility of door to door maybe in a few years.
Thanks guys, cant wait to join the MX5 family :)

evil_weevil
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Wanting to buy an MX5, not sure which way to go

Postby evil_weevil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 pm

all depends on your budget really!!

over 4 years ago I sold my R33 GTSt whichj I did a few sprints and hill climbs in, and bought my NA8.
I havent looked back.

I stuck with Na cause of the cost, I chose the Mx5 cause of how many events you can actually do.

supersprints there are a few classes which MX5's fall under depending on mods, engine size, tyres etc, Bryan or one of the regular sprinters can let you know more on that than me.

A few of us here do Festival of sporting Cars and MRA which has superTT and MX5 challenge races. the cars are built to CAMS prod sports and we race in a more relaxed and cheaper form of motor sport but still door to door.

if you buy an MX5 and decide to race door to door later, depending what you weant to race in you are limited to mods and what you can do to the car.
there are plenty of threads here, have a look at the modern sports car thread, any of the MRA round threads and the one t-bro started in motorsport, why no Mx5's in racing anymore or something.
some really good reading
cheers,
Chris
Looking for an SVT motor for this:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=62834

mazmad
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby mazmad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi there - you won't regret it!

Plenty of info HERE on sprints, racing, and regularity opportunities, with some contact info too.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 pm

It always pays to understand competition vehicle regulations before you commit to buying a car.

There are also club level sprints in NSW run by the MX5 Club of NSW at Wakefiled Park and Eastern Creek. These provide a cheap and simple entry into motorsport. Go to our motorsport page at http://nsw.mx5.com.au/motorsport and study the background information, event schedules and vehicle regulations.

The Club's classes allow for anything from bog stock road cars through to full race machines. Typically it's better to start at the standard or clubman classes and work on your driving skills before you start throwing money at it all and moving on to the more modified classes. Some never leave the standard classes - the competition in those classes gets pretty serious and beating much more modified cars from those classes becomes a badge of honour.
’95 NA8

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Postby Guran » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Yep, what magna_blue and mazmad said.

Five years on and I'm still having a ball tracking a stock NA6 at MX-5 Club track days and CAMS NSW Supersprints. If you want to see what's what and talk to MX-5 drivers, you should come along to one of the many sprint and race events that we compete at. Click here for the event calendar.

Then have a look at the Buy & Sell section on our club website. It has a few very nicely set up track MX-5s for sale at the moment.

There has been a lot of talk recently about new racetracks being built in Newcastle and Central Coast. Hopefully one of them will come to fruition soon and you'll have a track closer to home.
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

evil_weevil
Racing Driver

Postby evil_weevil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Guran wrote:Yep, what magna_blue and mazmad said.

pffft so not me? :p
Looking for an SVT motor for this:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=62834

mazmad
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby mazmad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Haha poor weevil.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”