Whats happening to the MX5 racing??

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

neilh
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Whats happening to the MX5 racing??

Postby neilh » Thu May 26, 2016 10:44 am

I think running a race weekend as part of a club day is great idea to encourage new competitors. However I also think one of the reasons many of the people stopped racing in the MX5 series was they simply got tired of racing around Wakefield Park (nothing against Wakefield park, it is a great track, but there are only so many laps you can do around the place). In time will this happen with the current competitors?

I agree with Zossy that MX5 2B cars are not competitive in Prodsports (I have experienced this first hand). But one of the advantages of aligning with the 2F / 2B rules to some degree is that is gives options. So thinking out of the box, prodsports are often crying out for people to join them, could we look at running one or two of the MX5 cup rounds in conjunction with the Prodsports races, especially their Eastern Creek rounds. (Similar to how the Swift series runs in conjunction with the production car series), in addition to being part of the MRA series? Basically a MX5 race run within the broader prodsports race. In my view it is a win – win. MX5 cup get to expand beyond just racing at Wakefield park, provide another dimension to the category (and keep people interested as well as attract more people), Prodports gets to effectively double there grid over night.

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby chrons_rotary » Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 pm

Subbed.
Interested to see where this is heading, as I've always wanted to race D2D.

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Thu May 26, 2016 5:07 pm

It's pretty obvious that there's no one single answer that's going to please everyone, but I certainly don't think you need to reinvent the wheel.

I understand that the current situation in NSW was mainly bought about by the evolution of Prodsports in NSW, and in part, why Modern Sports Cars was started, but I don't think you should completely dismiss the 2F and 2B regulations.There are already plenty of MX5s built to these regs, and it's just a matter of creating an MX5 series that will include these cars and others that have chosen a slightly different path. Now the 2F/2B regs aren't perfect, but they are the only set of Nationally recognised set of regs for MX5 Production Sports Cars, and that means that cars from other states could potentially come to race in MX5 Cup if you included these classes.

Now in addition to these classes, why not just have some "Invited" classes. This is essentially what Prodsports in QLD did when they created an Invited class to increase numbers, and it worked a treat. We currently have 2F, 2B and GT classes running together and usually average 20 plus cars at most events. So in addition to 2F and 2B MX5s, why not just add something like a Invited Naturally Aspirated and Invited Forced Induction/Increased Capacity class? Then those that want to do their own thing in regards to aero, slicks, engine swaps and/or FI can still be included, and provided the regs are kept simple enough, it would be relatively easy to police. If you really wanted to, you could create a " 2F restricted" class with certain limitations, but any more than about 4 or 5 classes and it becomes an "everyone wins a prize" type category.

Those that choose to run 2F or 2B, also then have the option of coming to QLD to run with Prodsports in the MX5 only races, sprint meetings and 1hr enduros, and you might even get the odd racer from QLD coming down to do MX5 Cup. At the end of the day there's only so many laps you can do around your local track before you start looking interstate for other race meetings to attend. Make it an all comers category by including as many cars as possible, and keep the class structure relatively easy to police and you'll have a good chance of getting a decent turnout.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Thu May 26, 2016 6:43 pm

TCR wrote: Now the 2F/2B regs aren't perfect

Unbanning the thousand or more aftermarket turbocharged NA and NB's the country has would be a pretty good start.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

chops
Fast Driver

Postby chops » Thu May 26, 2016 6:46 pm

my thoughts exactly

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 pm

NitroDann wrote:
TCR wrote: Now the 2F/2B regs aren't perfect

Unbanning the thousand or more aftermarket turbocharged NA and NB's the country has would be a pretty good start.

Dann

Hence the suggestion to run Forced Induction and Naturally Aspirated Open classes in addition to 2F and 2B. That way any FI MX5 with a Mazda powered piston engine could run. So maybe:

FI Open
NA Open
2B
2F
2F "restricted"

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Thu May 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Open doesnt fix this, what bloke with an AVO kit on his weekend driver NA6 wants to race against 400whp/tonne racecars with aero?

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Why not. I raced a 2F with 105hp atw against other 2F cars with 165-170hp atw for years and had a ball. It's not all about winning :)

You can't really design a class that will please everyone, and you don't want 12 different classes. Maybe identify where you're likely to get most of your competitors from, and design the regs to suit.

2F Restricted could be something as simple as a standard ECU or cheap control tyre.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Thu May 26, 2016 7:54 pm

If you want everyone to show up, youve got to let every car race, AND youve got to let all sorts of builds compete with each other.

stuart1
Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby stuart1 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:06 pm

+1

Without sufficient numbers "MX5" racing with their own race will cease to exist.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Thu May 26, 2016 8:16 pm

NitroDann wrote:If you want everyone to show up, youve got to let every car race, AND youve got to let all sorts of builds compete with each other.

Exactly why you need an "Open" class, or a class with very few restrictions. If you're worried about Time Attack cars or cars with a lot of aero, then limit the aero to 2B specs and leave the rest open.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Thu May 26, 2016 8:19 pm

I think we are talking past each other.

Im going to look at this spreadsheet and see if I can see if its even possible.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 pm

NitroDann wrote:I think we are talking past each other.

Im going to look at this spreadsheet and see if I can see if its even possible.

There's no easy answer, I guess it's why the thread is nearly 40 pages long :)

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Thu May 26, 2016 8:49 pm

So how about this.

If I could come up with a points system which could accurately predict laptimes, we would have something great right?

If I can take a bunch of peoples cars, their mods and their laptimes, and use this info to build a points system that could fairly accurately predict the laptime of a car with known mods, we would be onto a winner?

If so, Ill give it a red hot go, but Id need a bunch of info.

Dann

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu May 26, 2016 8:51 pm

NitroDann wrote:If you want everyone to show up, youve got to let every car race, AND youve got to let all sorts of builds compete with each other.

That fits pretty closely with the current format. Only engine swaps (non-mx5?) and mega dollar racecars (ie too fast) are excluded. Dann can race his turbo, Lightyear his homebrew, and if 1.05 is too slow for them, I am sure room could be made for them by creating an invitation class.

For the record, I think that letting every car compete is OTT, I am sure the 1.05 was set for a good reason, and it does not take an Einstein to figure what that is. However, a true invitation class might be a way around that, if you think that we need the cars lapping quicker than 1.05 in a beginners/club category. I would rather say, if you want to play in this sandpit, and you have a 1.02 car, you are an Invitation Class car and need to run say max 6x15in rims, or TW400 tyres or something, any simple thing(s) that would pull the quick cars back a few seconds to 1.05 and they run as Class A then.

I like the idea of running by invitation in other categories, but that is getting away from 'safe' racing for beginners ... I wonder how many of the true beginners would be happy with this. However it could be done by making such events a non-Cup event, do those who don't want to do it (yet, or perhaps ever) aren't penalised. Assuming there would be enough starters to make it worthwhile.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”