World Time Attack Challenge

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

orx626
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NC - Rotary

Re: World Time Attack Challenge

Postby orx626 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 pm

NitroDann wrote:Sure, its just not a lot of power when you consider that dirt track awd cars were running bigger power 10 years ago. IMO.

....and far bigger budgets than probably all of these Pro-class teams put together. However back in the day (WTAC 2011) Sierra Sierra had an engine development budget of USD1.5M with Cosworth! I'd be surprised if any of the current Pro-class teams had an engine budget of even a fifth of that amount.

NitroDann wrote:Its all money though isn't it.

Money is definitely where the Pro-class is at...you've just gotta hope that you've spent the money in all the rights areas and with the right professionals.

Cheers,
Danny

little decks
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby little decks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Just watched the in car of Garth Waldon on the quick lap... they have really worked hard and got the results when it comes to driving that thing off the corner!!! super impressive, only needing to short shift it on exit of turn 2 which is a notorious exit oversteer corner, you can see that their car would struggle to go any quicker with more power, they seem to be in a good spot in terms of balance.

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 pm

little decks wrote:Just watched the in car of Garth Waldon on the quick lap... they have really worked hard and got the results when it comes to driving that thing off the corner!!! super impressive, only needing to short shift it on exit of turn 2 which is a notorious exit oversteer corner, you can see that their car would struggle to go any quicker with more power, they seem to be in a good spot in terms of balance.

Indeed!....ol' Under Suzuki needs to stay off the race line on his cool down lap(s) too! :evil: Geez that was a close call!!!

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:29 am

I hear the RTR evo is bent, anyone know if Daz is ok?
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 am

Okibi wrote:I hear the RTR evo is bent, anyone know if Daz is ok?

There's been no statement regarding any injuries at any of the incidents yesterday Dave. Which is really good news.

Here's a summary of day 1 http://www.worldtimeattack.com/index.php/day-1-highlights-thrills-and-spills/

Cheers,
Danny

Apu
Speed Racer

Postby Apu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:49 am

It's certainly ramping up to be an eventful WTAC. I waved at a Rex driver to stop but he just ignored me and drove right into the pit garage...to be greeted with shouts of "FIRE! FIRE!"

Yup...burning Rex parked next to drums of race fuel...

ja9
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby ja9 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:42 pm

The speed Nemo had going around turn 1 was amazing. You could tell much of his time was saved there compared to his competitors. I witnessed his 24 sec lap and although the other corners where some distance away I couldn't tell what was happening with the car but was using every bit of its suspension in T1. Garth Waldon has some good size balls. No-one was as fast there.

From what I saw I think Garth was held up a little by Under Suzuki on that lap. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes faster today (if the conditions are right).
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Good to see GT Autogarage/AMB aero's Eclipse posting some times.

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Update from the BigDog on the scene is that Daz is fine, just a little sore. Photos of his evo make me sad :(
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

orx626
Forum sponsor

Postby orx626 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Okibi wrote:Update from the BigDog on the scene is that Daz is fine, just a little sore. Photos of his evo make me sad :(

That's good news Dave. :D

Luffy has just called it! Nemo will not be returning because of engine issues. So it looks like Garth and the Tilton Evo will be standing on top of the podium this year cas I can't see anyone getting close to yesterdays time (WTAC record too)! :D

Congrats to all.

Cheers,
Danny

ja9
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby ja9 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Just so we don't spread mis-information; this is straight from the horses mouth so to speak the Tilton Interiors car has 850hp. Source Youtube.
Whether they detuned it for WTAC 2013 I don't know but at some point this year they were running 850hp when there went to Tsukuba curcuit in April 2013. FYI they managed a 54.? sec lap which is extremely fast but not the record which incidently is held by Under Suzuki.
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm

I just.... I have to see a quarter mile time and a weight to believe them.

Honesty with these things in motorsports is... rare.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Apu
Speed Racer

Postby Apu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18 pm

What blows me away is BYP Racing's Integra which got 3rd in Open Class - that is a relatively low budget car, no professional engineers, FWD...and it craps all over bigger budget AWD monsters.

They also took 2nd place in Clubsprint with an S2000 that was only built less than 6 months ago.

They polarise people and have a mixed reputation but you've got to give to them - they build quick cars.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:27 pm

That's true.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

Jarik
Learner Driver

Postby Jarik » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:27 pm

What blows me away is BYP Racing's Integra which got 3rd in Open Class - that is a relatively low budget car, no professional engineers, FWD...and it craps all over bigger budget AWD monsters.

Third in Open Class and Fastest FWD outright - beating the 3 other FWD cars in Pro and Pro AM class (I believe the CRX even had its aero designed by a former F1 engineer).

Sure, its just not a lot of power when you consider that dirt track awd cars were running bigger power 10 years ago. IMO.

Its all money though isn't it.

Dann

They are pretty small engines. Pretty much all the Pro class cars are running engines that when stock, are 2L (4G63, SR20, F20C). I think you'd struggle to see 1000HP on those engines even on a drag car. =\

Though I've always wondered why everyone in Pro class seems to retain original engines. Pretty sure Pro/Open class allows for engine swaps, but apart from FWD Hondas, no one seems to bother.

Another thing that always surprises me is how many Pro/Open class cars end up with cooling issues. I mean, they've only had all year to do testing and to struggle to put down a single lap? I understand they're really pushing the boundaries with a lot of these cars, but...

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”