Passion for historic vehicles is driving car club memberships in regional Vic

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Passion for historic vehicles is driving car club memberships in regional Vic

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun May 05, 2024 11:40 am

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Passion for historic vehicles is driving car club memberships in regional Vic

Postby Rocky » Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 pm

Could be an interesting dynamic at play here with the government push to EVs. Many people are attached to their petrol vehicles and may be disposed to keep the more interesting ones (or acquire one) and turn it into a hobby/leisure pursuit.
When Holden folded a lot of people bought the V8 they'd always wanted and there are an increasing number of mustang V8s on the roads, so perhaps the EV push is producing a new generation of RICE enthusiasts. Good for folks like us!
The best way to enjoy an enthusiast vehicle (for most people) is in a car club so perhaps the future is bright for them.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Passion for historic vehicles is driving car club memberships in regional Vic

Postby Jeo » Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 pm

I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that a '99 model car is 'historic' in Victoria?

While owning your 60's roadster takes a large wallet and/or solid mechanical abilities to keep it on the road, I'm sure pretty much anyone could buy an NB, throw club rego on it, and not feel like it's a waste of money even if it sits in the garage for 40+ weeks a year. Cars from the 90's are arguably still pretty reliable with minimal upkeep.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue May 07, 2024 12:11 pm

Rocky wrote:Could be an interesting dynamic at play here with the government push to EVs. Many people are attached to their petrol vehicles and may be disposed to keep the more interesting ones (or acquire one) and turn it into a hobby/leisure pursuit.
When Holden folded a lot of people bought the V8 they'd always wanted and there are an increasing number of mustang V8s on the roads, so perhaps the EV push is producing a new generation of RICE enthusiasts. Good for folks like us!
The best way to enjoy an enthusiast vehicle (for most people) is in a car club so perhaps the future is bright for them.

Agree Rocky - apparently from the perspective of a number of Vic car clubs they find that a significant proportion of members make use of the Vic Club Permit Scheme. The increase in membership & income from membership fees is funding projects useful to members. Less positive has been the admin overhead of the CPS for car clubs & a significant proportion of members using CPS not attending club activities.

Jeo wrote:I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that a '99 model car is 'historic' in Victoria?
While owning your 60's roadster takes a large wallet and/or solid mechanical abilities to keep it on the road, I'm sure pretty much anyone could buy an NB, throw club rego on it, and not feel like it's a waste of money even if it sits in the garage for 40+ weeks a year. Cars from the 90's are arguably still pretty reliable with minimal upkeep.

Agree Jeo - probably a significant & growing proportion, as each generation tends to gravitate to what inspired them in their childhood or teenage years. That said, I'm reminded by magenb's recent post about how hard it was to find a decent NB8A:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79657

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed May 08, 2024 8:29 am

I think you could rename the title to “a passion for more affordable rego is driving car club membership in regional Victoria “

I know both of my NBs will be going on club rego soon and it has nothing to do with me wanting to join a club or attend shows…

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed May 08, 2024 10:42 am

Indeed! Fortunately a number of car clubs have allowed flexibility in terms of attending activities, which wasn't the case with some in the early days of CPS, & membership numbers have increased.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”