Best ECU for NB8A

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Best ECU for NB8A

Postby StillIC » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:54 pm

NitroDann wrote:....

Adaptronic PnP models
Cost: $1100
Features: 5/10
Plug and play-ness: 5/10
Support: 3/10
Usability: 2/10
Availability of pro tuners: 8/10
Sophistication: 8/10

Pros: Its cheap. MX5 community uses a fair few of these so tuners are available. Dead stock non turbo models run ok on the basemap usually.
Cons: Not good enough for late model MX5s. Actually has less outputs than a stock ecu, this results in things like when the fans come on the car stalls. Not true plug and play on many models due to this, modifying OEM loom is often necessary. Manual is out of date. Much of it is wrong. No phone support. Cant google issues. WARI Software is confusing, out of date and has many features which are now broken. Andy is well known for travelling to workshops to fix issues and giving refunds for whole ECUs and paying workshops for wasted time, because everything is so confusing and theres no direct support.

This is a great post from Dann, who has more experience than most of us in the various ECUs available. However, I would like to defend Adaptronic somewhat.

I have an old Adaptronic E420c (no longer available?) with the optional loom adaptor to hook it up to the NA6 loom. I wouldn't call it PnP, as I had to remove the air flow sensor and add a MAP sensor. But I have made *no modifications to the standard Mazda loom whatsoever*, and can't imagine why or where I would ever need to. I have added quite a few wires to various sensors from the ECU, however, as the standard car didn't include such sensors (variable TPS, MAP, various temp sensors etc.), but most are unnecessary to get the car running. Perhaps this isn't true for newer PnP models, or for SE installs?

Also, while everything Dann said about support is true, Adaptronic have a great online forum for support, with all questions I have ever asked, answered, and with lots of useful information available. Perhaps this is not useful enough for a professional with a customer car sitting on a dyno, but good enough for me, and perhaps many of us.

P.S. I have some experience with the Haltech E8, from many years ago, and I believe Dann was kind in his review of it!
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:46 am

The ecu used for most PnP adaptronics is the same, earlier the 420, now the 440. I believe that the 1280 which has far more outputs and inputs is used as PnP on some cars which have 8 cylinders etc that the 440 can never possibly be used.

The 440 is used on ALL mx5 models because it can run all mx5's and its cheap to produce. This doesnt mean its actually good on ALL models of mx5.

So your ecu on your na6 is the same internally as the ecu used on NB8B. NB8B has far more functions to run than an NA6, and the 440 just doesnt have as many outputs as the car has functions. This lowers the cars features as compared to stock, and makes it run improperly in many cases.

So basically im saying that your na6 will run on a 420 or 440 with features to spare but an NB8B especially a turbo one like an SE SP or aftermarket turbo NB8B is actually underfeatured and wont run properly in many cases and infact does need loom mods.

Let me give you some "Just not good enough" examples.

Example 1, cut straight from the MX5SP manual, but its the same for any NB8B with a turbo. It literally says to cut the VVT control wire, run +12V power (from where?) backwards up an earth and use the VVT output for boost control. How is this PnP? Its like this because the adaptronic PnP for this model is underfeatured in terms of hardware for this application, but if you do this it 'works'. ~Direct comment to StillIC, on your NA6 this isnt an issue because you dont need these features to run your model.

Heres another example. They have to do this because the ecu hardware chosen for this model doesnt have enough hardware to run the fans one at a time like the stock ecu can. So theyre forced to pin the same output to both fans and run both fans at once. This is far too much load at once for a stable idle so it stalls the car. It would be possible for the fan output to first idle up the car and to compensate with alternator control like ~haltech, MSPnP etc but it doesnt. instead the tuned the software to pulse the fans on and off so the ecu can see the idle drop a bit at a time and automatically compensate with aggressive closed loop functions. The result is the engine cycling up and down and the headlights cycling bright then dim and if youre trying to take off or drive sensibly in a carpark at low speed thats affected too.

Here is a screenshot straight out of the manual.

Once youve got the loom cut and spliced and understand that the fan control isnt really good enough for stock fans let along upgraded ones you get to the extras that 95% of people want such as an aftermarket wideband sensor seeing as the ecu (and most aftermarket ecus cannot either) cannot drive the stock one. So you click help/docs as seen here, and absolutely NOTHING happens. Its been disabled because its so out of date and misleading it cost a lot of money in refunding peoples time.

But you need to read it because how else can you know how to use the functions you need to tune your car? guess what? Its been removed from the website. but I know for a fact that much of it is completely wrong. I once followed the manuals instructions for a day and a half trying all of the recommended methods to connect a wideband many times over and when the email enquiry I made came through it turns out that it doesnt work that way anymore, hadnt for years and sorry but we forgot to update it. To fix those issues the manual is now not available.

So lets say you email a bunch of times and get your wideband hooked up. Now you want to tune idle. The next image is the idle tuning page in the software and let me highlight everything thats either broken or no one knows what it does or did but andy and select few others whove asked him personally.

In this image we can see "calmdown effort". It wasnt in the manual even when you could get the manual, and I asked what it does. Some guy with a engine swapped lotus with serious mods wanted a specific feature built into the ecu calculations so it was added for him and left there. Now when someone is chasing an idle issue they have no idea if thats relevant and it serves to confuse.

Same with all of the other circled functions. Not in the manual, no help icons and not named in a way which anyone can interpret.

"Do 'D'." What the hell is 'D'??

I could go on but I wont, Andy knows all of this which is why the incorrect and outdated manual is now hidden, new software was made and a new ecu with enough functions is released now.

The issue is that these were sold as PnP models ready to go and competitive in the market well well beyond their used by date. people bought these and wasted days and days and thousands trying to get them to work when they were broken or the documentation was outright wrong. Andy had to keep selling these even with all of this broken stuff because he needed to fund a new and unbroken system. Andy regularly showed up personally to fix issues no one else could, and gave refunds for wasted time. I wont pass judgement on that business tactic, interpret that as an individual.

Dann
Last edited by NitroDann on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:15 am

Wow.

Dann, do these criticisms of Adaptronic extend to the 1280 or other models, or are they specific to the older e420/440, noting that these are no longer available new?

I note that Adaptronic has updated its models further since the 1280, or at least, has updated its naming system. It would be nice to know how the most recent Adaptronic ecus stack up.
http://www.adaptronic.com.au/ecus/
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:24 am

They apply for anyone who tries to use an ecu with less pinouts than their stock ecu. In this case all NBs with a 420 or 440 ecu.

Also if you tried to use a haltech sprint on an NB8B youd get the same problem, but haltech dont call the sprint a PnP, do they?

This is completely beside the fact that the software is broken and manuals are so bad they arent available anymore.

But again, thats why there is a new range.

Dann

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:10 am

Hi Dann,

Wow, great summary and follow up info. I and I am sure many others appreciate your efforts in posting.

One thing you have not mentioned is how they fundamentally control the engine, or are they all equal in that regard with PERFECT control? For example, have you found any of the ECUs under discussion allow ignition timing to physically creep a couple of degrees (even if only very very briefly) under a fast change in certain conditions before coming back to the ECU setting?

Cheers.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 am

The accuracy of the tune once it has been perfected by the tuner is down to the sophistication of the ecu firmware, not really the quality of the hardware. (To some degree it's hardware related but it's negligible)

I've ranked these ecus by sophistication also.

Dann

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm

This thread isn't that old...but...we now have the following all offering PNP

- ME221
- Adaptronic eMod017
- Haltech Elite 1500

Is the ms3 / mspnp pro still the pick of the bunch?

Also, any advantage or disadvantage with a DIYAutoTune vs MsLabs?

About to pull the pin on ECU purchase so keen to know if anything has changed.

Cheers.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:20 pm

I havnt tuned ME221 but all signs point to "it does what MS does but isnt yet as sophisticated".

Basically its software has fewer functions to get the ecu really dialled in for an OEM perfect tune. But its pretty close, and the price is right.

MS3 over E1500, still? IMO yes. Because price and "clip me straight in and tune me" VS haltechs big gangly adaptor harness.

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”