Conza's ND!

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Conza
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Conza's ND!

Postby Conza » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Alright, very excited about this car, more so than anything I've ever purchased in my whole life, I'm an obsessive car nut, have been for as long as I can remember, and this is my first new car, ever (might be my last, but never say never).

I wanted to start my garage thread (of course), I still haven't received the car, but it won't be too long here's the general specification.

A 2016 Mazda MX-5 ND Roadster GT 2.0 Manual in Soul Red with Black Leather. Wheels are the 17 inch Bright Silver ones that come with this specification of car.

I've also chosen a few accessories, front and rear integrated parking sensors with reversing camera, cargo tray, scuff plates and floor mats. Happy to answer questions about why those and/or why not others, very happy with this selection, don't foresee any other factory items that I'd want (at this stage). There were a few would be nice items I decided to skip, initially I wanted aluminium pedals, but decided they weren't worth the price and that the rubber ones probably won't wear out and if anything may have slightly more grip. Many cars I've had, were fitted with normal rubber pedals, so I'll get over that. The other thing is the strut bar, again an expensive option but probably worth it for some, especially if they wanted a horsepower / track day hero, it might be slightly wasted on a road car though.

Otherwise that is essentially the car for now as much as I can say without pictures (I've never even seen 'the' car, just an almost identical demo), It's going to be an incredible day picking it up, the anticipation between now and whenever that is, builds and builds, I think I'm going to film parts of it, lot's more to come! :D :ND: 8) :ND: :mrgreen: :ND: :wink:

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: **Coming Soon** Conza's ND!

Postby Okibi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 am

:mrgreen: welcome to the obsession, look forward to seeing some photos.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 am

Congratulations. Look forward to your future posts.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am

Nice, glad you were able to get 17" silver wheels. Silver wheels on the Soul Red is my ideal combination.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 am

Congrats!

Conza
Driver

Re: Conza's ND!

Postby Conza » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 pm

This is a really strange feeling, it hasn't really sunk in that this is my car. I'm babying it as some owners do when it's less than 1000kms, making sure that the engine runs in properly, I should probably take it a bit easy on the tyres (realised this after easily surviving some pretty serious bends without any trouble).

I had put it in 6th thinking it was reverse once or twice, but only went on the clutch gently before I realised it, no shuddering or stalling (R near 1 is the best place imo, will get used to it gladly). The gearbox is wearing in nicely, wasn't a very sweet, or as sweet as I remembered the one from the test drive at first, but at about 300kms now it's starting to loosen nicely.

It'll be clear wrapped tomorrow at the front, then I'll put on some good wax, treat the seats with some products (cleaner and protector), and I'll also put some wheel protector and roof protector on a bit later.

Other than that... Nothing to do but drive, drive, drive and get used to this wonderful car.

If a forum admin/moderator could please update the topic removing the **Coming Soon** that'd be appreciated - it has finally arrived :D :ND:

TIP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby TIP » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:12 am

hard break-in after warmed up is better

zero00
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby zero00 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:06 am

Arhhhhhhhh!! Soul Red!!
Roger D-SUNSHINE COAST
2000 NB8A-LP 69.1248|QR Clubman 71.9235|QR Sprint 68.1412
1989 NA6 B-SPEC #77|Toyota GTS86 MT

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

after being at the Fan Fest last weekend, Soul Red is defiantly the most popular ND colour by a long shot! Id reckon a good 60-70% of ND's there were Red.
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

Ruffian147
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ruffian147 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm

The original red will be released later this year. :NA6:

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:07 am

Congratulations Conza. She looks fantastic!

I've had a few golf's over the years.

The chassis just get more solid with each evolution. We found a noticeable difference going from a Mk4 gti to a Mk5 R32. Great cars.

My 2 favorite colours in the ND is soul red and meteor grey.

I think it's great that mazda are going to do a classic red but think there needs to be a metallic blue and a pearl yellow in the line up.

Look forward to reading more of your journey with the car :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

Conza
Driver

Postby Conza » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Tip, it's a classic debate the hard vs soft break in, for all but some of the newest super cars that have their engines pre-run in at factory, I doubt any Mazdas are, but yes, I'm under warranty - guess I'm old fashioned, I'm sure either way I would be fine.

Yes, Soul Red is popular, a blessing and a curse as always being the number 1 colour, it also seems to be popular on all Mazdas of this generation. I have very rarely seen any other NDs (maybe 2 others, both were Soul Red). I just had a car that was "Classic Red" like (See Tornado Red Golf V GTI), and I loved that too, but always wanted a darker metallic red one day, so this fits the bill perfectly for me.

Hasn't been a fairy tale beginning, wanted to post more but there's been a few issues already, which I'm honestly shocked by, the dealer has been excellent (they will go unmentioned), tomorrow it will go in to get these things fixed and then I can continue with the clear wrap. These issues were spotted on the paint, and it's irritating because I took the day off work to take it down there and get it done, which I'll need to do again now I guess. While there were some serious paint defects, remarkably, it appears someone has buffed a brand new car! Swirl marks and some sort of deep liquid mark on the bonnet, parts of the front bumper don't have paint on them due to this now(?!?!). Look, I don't sell cars, I'm just an enthusiast, but why would anyone do that? Just take the stickers off, test it, then water, soap, microfibre, chamois or waffle towel - end of story.

Sadly, that hasn't happened to my car, so, I'll wait and see. Disappointing, but I think it's a case of ignorance not malice, so no point being angry about it. And I'll get to try another Mazda (probably) which will be interesting. I'll update once my car is back on track *touch wood*. Haha, an automatic 1.5 would be good to completely have all the variations under my belt, but I'm easy, I like all Mazdas right now.

Conza
Driver

Postby Conza » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Ok so here's the update, paint is now 'complete', there are some minor swirl marks in places... Guess you can't buy a Mazda new in Australia is the ultimate conclusion I make.

I'll be writing a stern letter to Mazda Australia telling them how disappointed I am that they don't cover (all of) their products in enough/wax to prevent detailers needing to apply harsh products to remove dirt/grime/salt whatever from their cars, which they clearly put unprotected on the ships around the world.

Anyway, it will now get wrapped, that should hide most of the swirl marks in the front, and I have some expensive wax so hoping that fills in other areas too.

Am I happy? No not yet, I might be... not the conclusion I was wanting today, it's been a really hard birth for this car, hoping this saga comes to an end on Monday night after I take it home from the wrapping place and apply wax.

Also, not sure if people have figured out the dealer, I won't mention them here, all I can say is they've done the best they can and I'm pleased with their efforts, only so much they can do, hoping I can recover this car and make it look as new as it deserves to look.

Conza
Driver

Postby Conza » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Conza wrote:Ok so here's the update, paint is now 'complete', there are some minor swirl marks in places... Guess you can't buy a Mazda new in Australia is the ultimate conclusion I make.

I'll be writing a stern letter to Mazda Australia telling them how disappointed I am that they don't cover (all of) their products in enough/wax to prevent detailers needing to apply harsh products to remove dirt/grime/salt whatever from their cars, which they clearly put unprotected on the ships around the world.

Anyway, it will now get wrapped, that should hide most of the swirl marks in the front, and I have some expensive wax so hoping that fills in other areas too.

Am I happy? No not yet, I might be... not the conclusion I was wanting today, it's been a really hard birth for this car, hoping this saga comes to an end on Monday night after I take it home from the wrapping place and apply wax.

Also, not sure if people have figured out the dealer, I won't mention them here, all I can say is they've done the best they can and I'm pleased with their efforts, only so much they can do, hoping I can recover this car and make it look as new as it deserves to look.

On 2nd thought *sigh* I'll call them tomorrow and go back, no point being bitter about a car not being delivered properly. Let's see if third time really is the charm.

Conza
Driver

Postby Conza » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Well, it's finally delivered properly, and I've had the car now for about 5 weeks. I wanted to start with what are some hopefully interesting insights on Mazda sports cars, since this is my second one, I wanted to discuss two specific similarities between this car and my RX-8, which are aside from the obvious.

Air conditioning, or specifically, the climate control. I've primarily had European cars in the last 10 years, a Peugeot and a Volkswagen, which to me both had excellent climate control, because they adjusted themselves to suit the temperature I wanted in my car, which is basically 20 degrees, maybe 18 in Winter or 22 on hot days in summer, I would adjust if needed when I got in the car, then occasionally, I'd adjust it for recirculation, otherwise it that was that.

The two Mazda systems I've used are completely different. Firstly their middle/default position is 25 degrees, not 22 like the euro cars, but what this boils down to is, I don't think their idea of 'climate control' is the same as the European cars. Yes, it does alter with outside temperature, so 25 will cool when it's hotter, and warm when it's colder outside, but I wouldn't dare set it to 22 degrees in summer otherwise I'd be in an ice box. So these controls, to me, feel like they may as well be hot/cold dial, it all works on feel. I have been usually setting it at 24 to 26 depending on if it's hot or cold when I'm driving, but those aren't the temperatures I want to achieve in the car.

Fuel gauge / Range prediction. (According to carsales) the RX-8 FE-1 has a 61 litre fuel tank, and the average fuel consumption I experienced was 12.5l per 100kms, however, I would be showing empty after only 350-370kms. Sure enough when I went to fill it, it only needed about 50 litres. First I thought it was a fluke, then it did it again, and again, and I simply put it down to that it was an old car and the sensor must've played up. Ideally, the light should come on when you have only 5 litres or 10% left to let you know to go to the pump. Comparatively to my Golf GTI with a 55 litre tank, that fuel light appeared at 6-7 litres left, so when I filled up I'd put in 52 litres.

Yet the MX-5 with 45 litres is doing the same thing as the RX-8, and it's a brand new car. Light comes on, shortly the gauge shows empty and range reads zero, but my first two fill ups I only put in 36 and 37 litres - doesn't make sense. Surely the light should only come on when I've used a full 40 litres, then show empty at around 42/43 litres. So I took a chance and on the third tank instead of driving 480/490 kms, I drove another 30kms on 'empty' or 'range 0kms'. When I did fill it up, I put in 41 litres. I can "live with it" but I find this to be a design flaw personally, I want to maximise my time away from the pump, and this car's sensors aren't letting me do that, which is a shame.

One other thing I'll mention though, right now it feels like for the first time, the MX-5 is truly the halo car for Mazda, simply because it's the only sports car they make, and I think that really shows throughout the whole car that they really went to great lengths to put extra effort into lots of little details, again, this strikes me as similar to the RX-8 which was also a halo car. This in no means is being critical of Mazda or previous MX-5s for not having this approach before, but so much of the car's qualities remind me of the RX-8, some of the way it looks, the interior styling to a certain degree, it culminates to being the best sports car money can buy.

I'll save my other observations for a full review in another 6-7 weeks. Unless anyone has any questions about my ND or NDs in general, then I'll happily answer those too.

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”