Andrew's NB8A (Slow Build Edition)

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

EndlessSummer_Az
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Andrew's NB8A (Slow Build Edition)

Postby EndlessSummer_Az » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Hey guys - I'm Andrew, and I've just picked up an NB8A in red. Looks like you guys have a great community here, so thought I'd introduce myself and get involved.

This is what I've bought. Disclaimer - the rims aren't to my taste (ie they suck), and I think she's had a somewhat...chequered past. But damn if she doesn't drive well...

20160826_085306.jpg

Always had a thing for little Fords and Mazdas. I've been autocrossing a very tired, non-turbo TX3 for the last 10 years or so, trying to break it and never quite succeeding. Mazda did a damn good job on the old BP motor. I also have a very quick Fiesta XR4 which is my daily, but which ends up at street sprints and track days a lot more than it should. A certain Mr Plohl, forum member here, here will know about both, since he's been keeping me honest at IWMAC for a few years now.

McLane-020a.jpg

Have always been a big fan of the "slow car fast" philosophy, and of having a car you can actually drive...all the cars I've owned have tended to be small, quick and good handling (except for the Laser, which has tried to kill me on no less than 37 occasions). It's also fun being told you have a girl's car, then making your passenger wet themselves and/or carsick in response. The upshot is the MX5 ticked all the boxes and I've wanted one for a while now - we found this one languishing in a mechanic's shop in Brissie. Mechanically it seems pretty tidy, but there are a few cosmetic issues from sitting out in the sun / lying around and being used as a garage shelf. And the rims need to be killed with fire...but one drive and I was hooked.

The plan is to start making her slightly faster and slightly prettier - looking at a mild exhaust upgrade, maybe a CAI, a strut brace and a few other little things to start. Definitely some new boots (going back to 16s at this stage) and a CAMS roll hoop at some point in the near future.

Basically, I'm aiming for something we can take to Lakeside and have some fun in, but is still refined enough to go on date night with afterwards (and on that note, surely the Mazda's a better chick magnet than a Fiesta, right? Right?) Knowing my car history, it'll end up on semi slicks and really, really loud, but I'm trying to keep things restrained for now.

Looking forward to meeting some of you once the car is presentable. For now, my folks are driving it around so if you see it in the Lockyer Valley, feel free to give em a wave! I'm also still involved with the Euro Ford scene in Brisbane and with a couple of CAMS clubs (though haven't raced much this year), so give us a shout if you ever need any info in those areas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mazda MX5 NB8A (Red)
Ford Fiesta XR4 (White)

charcoal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Andrew's NB8A (Slow Build Edition)

Postby charcoal » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:46 am

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum :NB8A:
Always good to see another NB join the fraternity and I'm sure that you will derive plenty of benefits from your association with MX5 Car Talk.
There are plenty of knowledgeable people who will be keen to offer you advice on what they feel is the best way to get the most out of your NB.

Agree with your thoughts about the wheels on your car and you will probably find opportunities to get some replacements in the for sale forum.
For what it's worth, the NB8A came on 15's and many of the track oriented members will probably recommend that you go with this size rather than the 16's.
There are also plenty of great tyre choices to be had, depending on what you want to achieve with them (and also how much you are prepared to spend!)

Your experience with your Fords sounds interesting and I'm sure that once you get your NB sorted, we can look forward to seeing you at some of the track day events.

Look forward to reading about your progress with the car :wink:

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”