Corey's NB Journal

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Corey
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Corey's NB Journal

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:16 am

Hi guys, I have been putting off my build thread for a while so hear is a quick rundown and introduction.

When I was on the search for my real first car, I didn’t have any intention on getting a 2 seater roadster to drop the roof down on a Sunday and cruise through the countryside (although it is fun, it’s really not my thing) instead I was looking for a car with a great platform for me to work on, good aftermarket support and a body that to me is like a blank canvas that I can create the car I want from. The MX5 has nice lines and a good shape, but it’s pretty basic which was perfect for the plans I had for it. Once I got my provisional license I realised the MX5 is the perfect project for me, and they’re cheap, so I searched and searched for months for the perfect one and finally I found a 2001 MX5 NB8B (luckily) within my tight budget and snatched it up.

Here is the car the day I brought it home. It was exciting to have it at the time but it doesn't do it for me on the looks.

Here is a list of modifications I have done to the car to date:

Interior:
- Fixed back sparco seat
- Revlimiter vent rings
- 58Drive aluminum gas pedal TypeW
- Jass performance hardtop brackets
- Browns Davis rollbar
- 2" Shifter extender
- Carbon fibre gear knob
- Genuine Mazda floormats
- Pioneer f960dab GPS headunit
- Pioneer speakers + tweeters

Exterior:
- Jetstream Type-2 ducktail spoiler
- Rear bumper cut
- Rear tow hook
- Takata tow strap
- Offset number plate bracket
- Fenders rolled with slight pull
- Front bumper holes (possible duct for oil cooler)
- IL motorsport clear side indicators
- Front canards
- Painted headlight bezel black
- Hard top

Engine:
- Polished valvecover
- Charcoal canister delete
- Washer fluid resivour delete (relocation)
- Rear muffler delete
- Heat wrapped exhaust
- Reservoir socks
- Dress up bolts

Wheels/Tyres & Suspension:
- 16x8 +15 ce86 reps with Achillies 205/45
- Yellowspeed dynamic pro ver.II coilovers
- Blox open ended lightweight lug nuts

I have a lot planned for this car and it is really only just the start for me so stay tuned for more!

I'll compile a few pictures of the car and update as the car progresses.

You can also keep up to date on instagram: corey.hp

joshuam
Fast Driver

Re: Corey's NB Journal

Postby joshuam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:50 am

Nice :)

You've already done the basics.... and some.... so what is the plan next? :)

Also, I see far more modz than pics! Show them off! Haha :P
'00 Midnight Blue NB8B - 4.1 Torsen 2 | Tein Flex-Z | Enkei RP01 :)
Garage Thread: Here

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Curious on the front bumper holes, have they made any difference to the water temperature?

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:28 pm

joshuam wrote:Nice :)

You've already done the basics.... and some.... so what is the plan next? :)

Also, I see far more modz than pics! Show them off! Haha :P

There is too many things that I want to do to list, but youll have to wait and see :) Here are some more photos.

I've also been working on my own set of gauges, heres my current progress:

If I can make these successfully, I might take orders for them if anyone is interested, you can have them personalised to your liking.
Last edited by Corey on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Magpie wrote:Curious on the front bumper holes, have they made any difference to the water temperature?

So far I have not noticed any difference in water temperature, I am looking to mount a black oil cooler behind there in the future.

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:11 am

Looks good mate.
What canards are those?
I've Been contemplating making a set
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:54 am

Have you noticed any effect of those canards? Been thinking of them myself, however my understanding is that unless the canards are very big and combined with a splitter they have little effect on front downforce. Plus looking at your picture(s) the air is mainly passing below the canards and little is being deflected upwards giving some downforce.

My limited understanding on areodynamics also tells me that the holes in the front on your bumper maybe decreasing the effect of your cooling as air could be sucked out because the air pressure is lower on the outside of the bumper than the inside. Air is being forced in by the mouth, hits the radiator then finds the path of least resistance. The front of the MX5 is a known high pressure zone, however the air velocity is actually low. You need to ensure that your engine bay has a lower pressure than the front and hence air will move through your holes as air will always move from high to low pressure.

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:08 pm

mx5002 wrote:Looks good mate.
What canards are those?
I've Been contemplating making a set

Cheers! They are ebay special universal canards :P I got cheaper plastic ones because I didnt want to take the risk of running sharp canards on the street, I'd be asking for trouble.

Magpie wrote:Have you noticed any effect of those canards? Been thinking of them myself, however my understanding is that unless the canards are very big and combined with a splitter they have little effect on front downforce. Plus looking at your picture(s) the air is mainly passing below the canards and little is being deflected upwards giving some downforce.

My limited understanding on areodynamics also tells me that the holes in the front on your bumper maybe decreasing the effect of your cooling as air could be sucked out because the air pressure is lower on the outside of the bumper than the inside. Air is being forced in by the mouth, hits the radiator then finds the path of least resistance. The front of the MX5 is a known high pressure zone, however the air velocity is actually low. You need to ensure that your engine bay has a lower pressure than the front and hence air will move through your holes as air will always move from high to low pressure.

Not as of yet, I've only been running them for a few days. I don't really thing the human eye can actually understand how air flows over the vehicle, they might help a little but ill have to wait and see, for the mean time they look pretty cool IMO. I'm in the making of designing a front splitter, but i can't find anywhere to get cheap sheet plastic 3-5mm, if anyone knows anywhere let me know!

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Corey wrote:I'm in the making of designing a front splitter, but i can't find anywhere to get cheap sheet plastic 3-5mm, if anyone knows anywhere let me know!

I hope you are wanting the 3-5mm sheet for vertical walls to the splitter and not the splitter itself, as even 5mm plastic sheet wont be anywhere near strong enough..

If you do want it for the vertical wall, then see http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Colored-P ... ,1557.html
This stuff is used a lot by the m.net crew..

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Another product is Monopan http://www.lavender-ce.com/advanced-composite-materials/sandwich-panel-monopan/

I have made 3 splitters to date. The mounts I use are here http://www.miataroadster.com/kazespec-engineering/kazespec-engineering-splitter-hardware-kits/kseshk/i-1680573.aspx

Version 1 - 9.7 kg (ABS Plastic) is here http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=730055#p730055

Version 2 - 7.2 kg was made from ply 10mm with 2 layers of fibreglass on the bottom and 1 on the top. It has lasted quite well to be honest. http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=764135#p764135

Version 3 - 5 kg is made from 17mm Monopan http://www.lavender-ce.com/advanced-composite-materials/sandwich-panel-monopan/. This stuff is strong and light! However the edge does not take drilling too well. I'm getting some 1.6mm x 17mm U channel aluminium to put around the leading edge to protect it. Enough Monopan to make 2 splitters cost about $250. It is easy to cut but a bit painful to shape and trim. In the end I got an air angle grinder out and this worked well. Note this is also a bit bigger than the other 2 but weights LESS.

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Magpie wrote:Another product is Monopan http://www.lavender-ce.com/advanced-composite-materials/sandwich-panel-monopan/

I have made 3 splitters to date. The mounts I use are here http://www.miataroadster.com/kazespec-engineering/kazespec-engineering-splitter-hardware-kits/kseshk/i-1680573.aspx

Version 1 - 9.7 kg (ABS Plastic) is here http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=730055#p730055

Version 2 - 7.2 kg was made from ply 10mm with 2 layers of fibreglass on the bottom and 1 on the top. It has lasted quite well to be honest. http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=764135#p764135

Version 3 - 5 kg is made from 17mm Monopan http://www.lavender-ce.com/advanced-composite-materials/sandwich-panel-monopan/. This stuff is strong and light! However the edge does not take drilling too well. I'm getting some 1.6mm x 17mm U channel aluminium to put around the leading edge to protect it. Enough Monopan to make 2 splitters cost about $250. It is easy to cut but a bit painful to shape and trim. In the end I got an air angle grinder out and this worked well. Note this is also a bit bigger than the other 2 but weights LESS.

I'll check it out Magpie, thanks for the info! Very helpful. :D

Heres a small project I just finished on my taillight which involved pulling it apart and fitting an LED into the factory reflector ring and also tinting the hazard and reverse lenses. heres the results. I'm pretty happy with it.

joshuam
Fast Driver

Postby joshuam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice work - what LEDs did you use? Did you replace the reflector all together?
'00 Midnight Blue NB8B - 4.1 Torsen 2 | Tein Flex-Z | Enkei RP01 :)
Garage Thread: Here

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 am

I like this! Looks neat but mean with plenty of individual flare.

Now please show us the engine bay ;)
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:17 pm

joshuam wrote:Nice work - what LEDs did you use? Did you replace the reflector all together?

Thanks, I used a red LED halo ringoff eBay. No the reflector is still in there the LED sits just behiind it and shines through.

Corey
Fast Driver

Postby Corey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 pm

speed wrote:I like this! Looks neat but mean with plenty of individual flare.

Now please show us the engine bay ;)

I am loving it! It does give a more aggressive look to the tail lights and rear end for sure. I will get around to that :)

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”