WASABI Jr. - MX5 SE

Chat to do with your MX5/Miata/Eunos Garage Ride(s).

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

wasabi
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

WASABI Jr. - MX5 SE

Postby wasabi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02 am

Hi All

This is my little machine which has been code named Junior… Mainly because it will inherit my WASABI plates which I’ve had for years & this is the smallest car in terms of size & capacity to wear the plates.

A lot of the mods were done by the previous owner & forum member Trav (travyMX5), so when I picked up the car, it was really just a matter of finishing everything off & tidying a few things up. Turned out I knew Trav (He knew my old car :P ) as he worked on my Dad’s car previously & he was even in the year below me at high school! So I knew it was ment to be.

Here are the main mods / enhancements:

• Haltech Elite ECU
• 3 port solenoid
• 450cc injectors
• Walbro 255l/ph fuel pump
• AEM CAI
• Larger FMIC
• Larger alloy radiator
• AGI CAMS approved half cage
• Deckspeed built 3 inch cat back exhaust with high flow cat
• Sparco Sprint V seats
• Sparco race steering wheel
• 6 point harness (Driver)
• VDO triple gauge DIN cluster
• Auto Meter Boost Gauge
• Pedders Extreme Coil Overs
• Engine oil cooler
• Upgraded Exedy clutch
• Carbotech pads front (X12) & rear (X10)
• Slotted rotors front & rear
• Braided brake lines
• Braided clutch line
• Whiteline adjustable front sway bar and drop links + reinforcement / support kit (Rear with adjustable drop links)
• MX5 Mania steering rack spacers
• Mazdaspeed comp engine mounts
• Miata roadster long angled short shift kit and plain black spun gear knob
• Forge Blow off valve
• Factory small NB side skirts
• Track Dog front splitter
• Clear side indicators and reflectors
• Joyfast stubby centre console
• Mazda OEM hardtop
• Upgraded Alpine stereo (Speakers, sub, headunit)

Deckspeed has handled all the work that I’ve had done to the car while in my ownership & can’t recommend them highly enough. Fantastic to deal with & they really know MX5’s.

As some other forum members have also experienced, getting the SE working nicely with the Haltech can be a bit of a challenge. Main issue seemed to be caused by the wiring loom. After going through 3 x looms (2 x didn’t have the required alternator control, 1 x caused relay issues – ticking – which resulted in poor drivability & stalling) & Deckspeed working tirelessly to trouble shoot, the car landed up going to Haltech directly. They’ve now perfected the wiring loom for the SE, which is slightly different to what is used in the standard NB’s & have checked over everything using my car to create the bass map. Haltech, with the assistance of Deckspeed, retuned my car which made 140kw ATW’s on 98. Seems there could be room for improvement with this Elite ECU (E85 among other things ;) ) & will be working with Deckspeed in the new year to see how far we can push things while still remaining safe & reliable.

Despite all the dramas & frustration caused, Haltech really did come through & made sure that everything worked correctly. Just a bit of blessing that they are in Sydney, otherwise they the process we went through wouldn’t have been possible.

For those that are worried about going a stand along ECU, yes, in certain circumstances you can’t beat a standard ECU (NC owners are lucky as they can reflash their standard computers!) BUT, with my experience, the car is running smoother & flat out better than when I originally purchased the car… Just goes a fair amount faster! In my humble opinion, you need to make sure your tuner is familiar with MX5’s as they are not your run of the mill Holden, WRX or EVO to tune. There are tricks & limits to which you can push to which you don’t necessarily encounter when dealing with other popular tuner cars.

Before the tuning, clutch, etc, I’d had the car out at a Motorkhana day & it was great fun! In fact, it was what I originally bought the car for given I have another car I used on the track… But after getting some feedback from other MX5 drivers on how much fun they were on the track, I have to give it a go very soon!

Very happy with the car thus far & absolutely loving the whole MX5 community, which is quite different to the EVO & Subaru groups I’ve previously had a lot to do with. Still learning about all the MX5 qwerks, but feel I’ve learnt a fair bit over my short ownership period. It’s also my first convertible, so still getting used to the additional wind noise etc.

On that note (Qwerks), I had some crunchy gear changes particularly into 2nd. Thought syncros could have been on the way out & thought I might be up for few bucks to sort. After reading about another forum members experience (With an NA8 I believe) where similar problems were noticed & was advised to change the clutch, I thought I’d try the same thing. Once I’d made that decision, I actually noticed the trust bearings were rattling a bit so I was happy with the direction I was heading. Clutch changed & guess what… Everything is perfect now! I’m finally experiencing the sexy shifts that MX5 owners have described.

Probably not going to do a great deal more to the performance side of the car at this stage (Aside from looking into E85 & a few other minor things to get the most out of what’s there) as I was lucky enough to buy the car with most of my wish list already completed as mentioned. I’m considering doing a turbo upgrade & engine build in the future, but that will depend funds & if I’m tracking the car – Not like I’m competitive or anything ;)

Will likely look at cleaning up the car really well. It is in good condition given it’s age & mileage, but some areas could use a bit of a freshen up.

Really look forward to seeing more of you at various meets in the future. Although I’m already a member of another CAMS car club, I’m hoping to join the NSW MX5 ranks in the not too distant future.

Cheers

2004 SE - WASABI Jr - Enhanced by Deckspeed

SMSP Brabham - 2:17.7
SMSP GP - 1:54.4
SMSP Amaroo - 1:04.9
Wakefield Park - 1:11.8

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Re: WASABI Jr. - MX5 SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:26 am

Another sexy Sunlight Silver SE, very nice! Glad you started a thread and I'm happy you're for your ECU all sorted now :D

Keep the posts coming.

wasabi
Fast Driver

Postby wasabi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 pm

^^^

Cheers mate!

Also forgot to mention that those standard wheels are wrapped in Kumho V70A R-Specs :) So she's pretty damn well ready for a track day :D

mx5002
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby mx5002 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:16 pm

How do you find the sparco sprint seats with the agi rollbar ?
What I mean to ask is how tall are you?

I have had a good look under your car when I was at deckspeed waiting for some parts. It was on the hoist so I couldn't check out the interior/exterior so much but it definitely has all the good bits underneath lol
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

wasabi
Fast Driver

Postby wasabi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:47 pm

^^^ I'm 5'7 & the seats fit me rather nicely while having the the harness holes at the back of the seat in the right place - Seems to be a factor that most over look.

For me, the seat (On standard rails) doesn't cause me any dramas & doesn't get in the way of the half cage.

If you want to check it out & have a test sit in it, shoot me a PM & we'll organise something :)

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Looks like you've got yourself quite a well sorted car there.
Basically where i'd like to get my SE up to eventually

Hopefully I'll see you at the track sometime ;)
MeepMeep

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:37 am

Noice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:20 am

Yeah! Another SE build thread, there can never be too many of these....... :mrgreen:

Do you have any pictures of the interior?
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Nevyn72 wrote:Yeah! Another SE build thread, there can never be too many of these....... :mrgreen:

Do you have any pictures of the interior?

Is this going to be a I'll show you yours if you show me mine dealy coz nevyn72 does have a pretty interior :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

wasabi
Fast Driver

Postby wasabi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:13 am

I'll make sure I get some interior pics of my car... But it's a bit more race car than street car. Still clean though given it's 10 years old this month.

Haven't done much with car since I originally posted my garage thread.

At present, I'm feeling the audio system needs a bit of an overhaul to complete with the exhaust on the highway. Have swapped out the Type S's 5 x7's I originally had for some Type R 6.5 inch splits. Good improvement but let down by the lack of bass & amps. Looking to rectify that over the coming months... Just need to think about it as I would like to be able to remove it for motorkhanas & track days :)

Also got some new wheels off a forum member... Will have to wait until I've got them finished before I post up :)

Aside from audio, I'm also thinking about a few new mods. Mainly wide band O2 & a dump pipe. Will be chatting to Deckspeed in Feb as I'd like to make sure everything is running as flawlessly as possible... You know, without bending a rod :P

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:20 am

I'm very suprised you didn't do the wideband when you did the Haltech isntall. I was under the impression that to properly tune the car you'd need a wideband installed. Also, the dumppipe should see some moderate gains in power.

wasabi
Fast Driver

Postby wasabi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:56 am

Wide band isn't required. With the Haltach Elite it's used as what I understand to be a auto tuning tool. So basically like most modern ECU's, it can modify timing in the event you get a bad batch of fuel etc. That's really all I want it for which is piece of mind really.

Originally wasn't going to do the dump pipe until such a time I got a new turbo. At present I'm still not sure if I'll ever go the new turbo (Which would mean engine build & probably a strengthened box) route, so figure depending on the costs involved, I may as well finish off the exhaust to get the most out of what is already there.

wasabi
Fast Driver

Postby wasabi » Tue May 26, 2015 3:50 pm

So haven't been on the forum for ages & sadly the spare time has lacked, which means the MX5 hasn't seen much action... Aside from Round #1 of the RTDC motorkhana championship earlier in the year & a nice country drive on my 1 year wedding anniversary :)

That should all be changing over the next few weeks!

Car has been with Danny at Deckspeed for a bit of a freshen up (Car is 10 years old afterall) & service. While it was there he worked his magic on the tune - Keeping in mind the original tune was done by Haltec - & the result was fantastic!

Car is now running just shy of 157kw ATW's & with 302nm! Best thing about it is that the car drives like a completely stock car (Aside from the silly loud exhaust I've got on it) when you tooling around in traffic, but put your right foot down & it's a real pocket rocket!

Finally hitting the track at the Circuit Club day (Wakefield) over the long weekend. Really looking forward to driving the little beast on the track :)

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue May 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Wooooo more power! Very jealous of your car!

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Tue May 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Nice one mate, with that much power it'll be fun on the track and the turbo will be loving the winter weather :)

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Return to “MX5 Garage Chat”