Adelaide to Melbourne November

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

zephyrus17
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Adelaide to Melbourne November

Postby zephyrus17 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 am

My girlfriend and I are thinking of a drive from Adelaide to Melbourne in November. The total trip will be around 8 days. Any advice or suggestions on the itinerary?

We were thinking of first day in Adelaide (she arrives at airport at 9am), then driving to Melbourne along GOR spread across 2 days. Any recommendations on a BnB about half-way that's good value for money? (Not too expensive, but not too shabby either). And other than the GOR, any other good roads that the girlfriend will enjoy too?
Momo (aka 1990 white NA6)

MX5-SP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Re: Adelaide to Melbourne November

Postby MX5-SP » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:28 am

If your GF is a MX5 virgin, they I would recommend a twisty start through the Adelaide Hills such as some of the roads leading to the punt at Wellington. Otherwise if you head straight for the freeway, she will be in for a pretty mundane drive for the first 300kms (from memory it starts to get interesting around Millicent) and will be wondering why her BF doesn't drive a Commodore. By the time you get to the GOR she will have made herself "available" on Facebook.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 am

Some may disagree with me but I hate going the GOR route to Melbourne, it just takes way too long and theres not much really until you get to the GOR. I'd do a trip along the GOR after you get to Melbourne, stay the night somewhere then drive back to Melbourne.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:47 am

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Victoria's Lorne is a popular tourist spot in summer, and definitely see the Blue Lake in Mt. Gambier - if you like American National Lampoon's Vacation, The Big Lobster in Kingston is on the way.

The drive through the Coorong is mildly interesting too ("different" if nothing else).

Take her for a spin through the Adelaide Hills, she'll love the MX5 on some of those roads.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

91 Malibu
Fast Driver

Postby 91 Malibu » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Great B&B (self contained)in Apollo Bay called Nestled By The Bay stayed there for a week last August brillant little place with a great spa.
Was pretty cheap in August not sure about the pricing for November.
Cortina MK11 GTL
Mazda 3 SP23 Daily drive

zephyrus17
Fast Driver

Postby zephyrus17 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:28 pm

I think the general plan would be:
Day 1 Morning: Drive to Mt Gambier through McLaren Vale, Victor Harbour, arrive Mt Gambier late afternoon by Coorong route
Day 2: Mt Gambier
Day 3: Leave Mt Gambier in morning, Go to Melbourne by GOR route, arrive by afternoon.
Day 4,5: Melbourne
Day 6: Morning leave Melbourne along inland route, arrive half-way hotel (dunno where yet) and stay the night
Day 7: Morning leave half-way hotel arrive in Handorf late afternoon, dinner @ Windy Point.

She's coming for 10 days, though. so I should probably get somethings to fill it in the gaps.

MX5-SP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby MX5-SP » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:18 pm

You might want to reconsider the first bit - that is, consider Maclaren Vale through Strathalbyn via Paris Creek to the punt at Wellington - it might be more interesting that heading through Victor Harbour. There's a couple of nice bakeries in Strath for morning tea. Be aware The Coorong might be a bit on the smelly side at that time of year (...just in case your GF suspects you might be the cause :) )

If time permits, you might want to stop at Tantanoola Caves (between Millicent and Mt Gambier). It's been over 20-years since I went there, but it was a memorable visit.

A full day in Mount Gambier might be a bit excessive. I guess that depends what else you have planned... 8)

Ballarat might be an interesting stop on the way back if you want to visit Sovereign Hill.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

zephyrus17
Fast Driver

Postby zephyrus17 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 pm

She has said that she wanted to see whales or penguins. But at this season?

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”