0il pump plug thread?

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

3gress
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

0il pump plug thread?

Postby 3gress » Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Hey, can anyone confirm this oil pump plug port is an m12x1.5 thread type and not some type of bspt tapered fitting?

Wondering if it would be a good spot for a low oil pressure warning switch.
I can find m12x1.5 to 1/8npt adaptors and have an npt low pressure warning switch but may just wedge the standard mazda bspt warning switch in there. One thread per inch difference is no biggy eh?

3gress
Racing Driver

Re: 0il pump plug thread?

Postby 3gress » Wed May 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Bugger, so further searching has revealed the port to be a 1/4" bspt thread. No luck so far finding a reducer adaptor to suit mounting either a standard mazda low oil warning switch or an aftermarket 1/8"Npt switch unless I use a 1/4" to 1/8" npt reducer and force the threads to fit.

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lonesailor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Be careful! BSPP and BSPT threads are usually, but not always, interchangable depending on the tolerance of the female thread and whether or not there is a shoulder to seal against. NPT threads in 1/4" and 1/8" vary by 1 TPI You can sometimes get away with interchanging them in 1/8" with thread sealant but not in 1/4". Some Mazda senders are M12x1.5 I don't know about the oil pump plug.

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lonesailor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm

By the way , you can google a VDO catallogue which has details of all their various sender units and switches. I was trying to find one to suit the water temperature guage in my NA8 to make it more useful but found it way too hard. However as long as you know the switch point ,the thread and whether it is NO or NC you should be able to find the correct one . I have no idea on availability however

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:44 pm

also never mount a pressure sensor on the engine. Run a feeder line from the engine to the sensor. The sensor should be mounted on the chassis.

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”