Which data / track app do you use?

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

MattR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Which data / track app do you use?

Postby MattR » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:19 pm

If you are looking at a new camera and some data, speed, acceleration, times and lateral G forces have a look at the Garmin Virb elite. It has in built GPS and accelerometrs, the editing software is easy to use, you can wifi the camera to your phone to set up. It also comes with a screen that shows the angle when mounted and most important, the video button is a nice slide that can be easily used with gloves on.

Out of the box there are plenty of overlays to use or you can make your own, and I find it an excellent easy to use camera. The only criticism, and the same as go pro, the standard mic is crap and picks up a lot of wind noise.

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:09 pm

YanMa YatTai wrote:iPhones don't play well with external Bluetooth devices. My qstarz cannot be picked up by my iCrap 6.

I came across this today:
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/

Bluetooth yet is iphone approved, 10hz refresh.
I use dashcommand at the moment but doesn't do lap times in app, though overlaying gopro video with DC data inc gps into dashware should give me accurate lap times right?
MeepMeep

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Roadrunner wrote:...Okibi, how did you find the GPS logging on the iphone with Harry's?...

I had the addon for the iphone that increased the accuracy of the GPS ... BUT I put in the adaptronic so haven't been able to use the OBD2 port and haven't bothered since.

Been trying to improve my driving so spent less time worrying about taking photos/video and more time trying to get better.

I guess if I was a better and more consistent driver the logger would help me improve.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Snowmotion
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Snowmotion » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Has anyone tried the Dual XGPS160 SKYPRO GPS Receiver? http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/

It looks like the right stuff to use with Iphone and Ipads and seems to review well but few reviews in Motorsport.
Can be purchased for $220 so again seems to be a good price.
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

Water Boy
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Water Boy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Very impressed with the free race chrono app.

Would like to learn a bit more about adding the data to the goprp footage etc.
"Only Dead Fish Follow the Stream"

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Water Boy wrote:Very impressed with the free race chrono app.

Would like to learn a bit more about adding the data to the goprp footage etc.
Export to CSV and then use either racerender or dashware to render the data onto the videos. Both work well but I like racerender as it's native for Mac and I find it easier to sync up, I've done it a number of times and now since I know what to do it only takes me 10-15 minutes to download the data from my aim system and gopro, sync it up and render it.

Here's the racerender compatible dataloggers: http://racerender.com/RR3/docs/Datalogg ... .html#Data
Here's the syncing instructions:
http://racerender.com/RR3/docs/HowTo-Datalogger.html

Here's a video I made on the weekend using racerender using gopro footage overlayed with data from my aim data logger (it has an obd2 connection so I get Throttle too)

You can also export the data from racechrono into a VBO format and do analysis in circuit tools which is free and is a pretty powerful piece of software (the same as what the performance box uses).
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:42 pm

This uses Dashware to combine the video from the Vbox Lite and data collected from other sources, my car does not have obd2. Normally it syncs up very well, but this time it was painful and did not work as well as previous. I may try Dan's suggestion of racerender to see if it is a better method (plus I have a Mac).

Whilst the car does not have obd2 I can link the Vbox Lite up via the CAN to the PS1000 and get additional data this way. Plan is to phase out the Innovate data logging and swap to Racepak.

I agree with Dan's comment on Circuit Tools as this is also what the Vbox Lite uses.

Snowmotion
Racing Driver

Postby Snowmotion » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Water Boy wrote:Very impressed with the free race chrono app.

The app would be good but the standard refresh rate of an iphone or ipad is only 5Hz so the accuracy can be a little off.
This is where an external GPS at 10Hz can help.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:06 pm

10Hz may not be enough at times. At 100 kmh in 1/10 of a sec you have moved 3m.

I finding that 10hz for data logging does not provide sufficient resolution.

Snowmotion
Racing Driver

Postby Snowmotion » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Magpie wrote:10Hz may not be enough at times. At 100 kmh in 1/10 of a sec you have moved 3m.

I finding that 10hz for data logging does not provide sufficient resolution.

So what refresh rate are getting out of your systems?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:33 pm

The Innovate logs data at 10hz, the Vbox Lite does GPS at 10hz. The Vbox Lite can log CAN data at a greater refresh rate than the GPS however I'm yet to find out how fast.

10hz is acceptable for GPS, it also depends on the 'smarts' that is used to calculate the position based on the quality of the satellite signals. Most car GPS are not 10hz rather they rely upon 'snapping' the cars position to the nearest road hence is why they always 'appear' to be accurate. Take a car GPS off road and see how accurate they are.

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:55 pm

Magpie wrote:The Innovate logs data at 10hz, the Vbox Lite does GPS at 10hz. The Vbox Lite can log CAN data at a greater refresh rate than the GPS however I'm yet to find out how fast.

10hz is acceptable for GPS, it also depends on the 'smarts' that is used to calculate the position based on the quality of the satellite signals. Most car GPS are not 10hz rather they rely upon 'snapping' the cars position to the nearest road hence is why they always 'appear' to be accurate. Take a car GPS off road and see how accurate they are.

I was about to say that 10hz is plenty for the GPS as long as it's accurate.

I've spent a ton of time doing data analysis in the AIM RaceStudio software that comes with my AIM datalogger and have never felt like I don't have enough resolution to accurately see my lines through corners if I look at the GPS trace (it interpolates the data points and smooth out the lines so it isn't jagged or anything) and GPS speed is generally accurate enough to figure out if you need to be braking/accelerating more.

The other important data points (Lat/Lon Acc, Throttle, brake etc...) on most loggers are updated much faster like Magpie said, on mine it's it's 20hz for OBDII data.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:28 pm

an I need to find a way to merge the 2 sets of data I collect into something like circuit tools. I agree that the video is a great tool for showing what you are doing right/wrong. The ability to overlay laps and see where you were faster in corners etc helps. There would be more value reviewing the data after each session and not when you get home.

Another good thing is the ability to swap VBO files, I think this was suggested on the forum before and maybe it is something that could be done.

In addition to posting the VBO files it is possible to send the video files using a drop box type service.

Snowmotion
Racing Driver

Postby Snowmotion » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:18 pm

From what I have read about this External GPS is that it is used a lot in the aviation industry where most flights are at rapid speeds, but I imagine in the aviation industry there is no a lot of rapid change of direct or speed.
I will keep reading....
Are there any reasonably priced external GPS that you can recommend that will work with an iphone or ipad?

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Magpie wrote:an I need to find a way to merge the 2 sets of data I collect into something like circuit tools. I agree that the video is a great tool for showing what you are doing right/wrong. The ability to overlay laps and see where you were faster in corners etc helps. There would be more value reviewing the data after each session and not when you get home.

Another good thing is the ability to swap VBO files, I think this was suggested on the forum before and maybe it is something that could be done.

In addition to posting the VBO files it is possible to send the video files using a drop box type service.

I don't normally look at my data during the day but I do find it really helpful seeing where I'm faster and slower doing different things. It's interesting seeing that my feeling of what's faster is often completely wrong and it's really helped me improve my driving.

You mentioned you were looking at a RacePak data logger earlier, a few guys here in Sydney have brought Aim dataloggers in the last 12 months including me. I really like the software and while I don't think Aim's video option is as good as the Vbox option, I think the software is better and they still have a decent video option with the SmartyCam which means you don't need to sync anything (see Daniel Deckers lap in the SMSP south thread from this week, he's using one).

Snowmotion wrote:From what I have read about this External GPS is that it is used a lot in the aviation industry where most flights are at rapid speeds, but I imagine in the aviation industry there is no a lot of rapid change of direct or speed.
I will keep reading....
Are there any reasonably priced external GPS that you can recommend that will work with an iphone or ipad?

I haven't got an iPhone but I think the Harry's guy is pretty knowledgeable on the subject. He gave that one you were speaking about a big wrap and talks though the other options too here http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”